Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-25-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
wanda

Garden Tub with tiled knee wall & "bench"-Picture added

Hi, I'm new and have been looking around for a little advice. You guys seem knowledgable and I hope you can help! Fingers crossed that the following makes sense...

We're in the middle of renovating our master bathroom. One wall has a walk in shower with a glass window overlooking the garden tub, followed by a knee wall with a bench/shelf of sorts which seperates the tub from the toilet. There is a window approximately 2 feet above the tub area.

OK, we're retiling and the existing tile was applied differently than my tile guy is recommending and I'm not sure what I want, what would look best or what is "correct". He suggests using only one row of my 15" tile on the wall and topping that with the 2" listel, which would allow for only maybe 3-4 inches of tile on the knee wall (topped by the same listel). I think that mightl look odd, but I'm not great at visualizing.

My thought is to tile all the way up to the height of the existing knee wall, which will end the tile about 2-3" below the window ledge. There would be a 5-6 inch cut and a whole tile with the listel on top. Does that sound like a more visually pleasing treatment?

Back to the knee wall - If I tile to it's height, what should I do to the top of it? Tile, marble, just paint it? If I use marble like I'm using for my window sill, should it over hang like a sill or be flush to the listel? I hope this makes sense!

Ideas please because I'm having a terrible time visualizing and time is short.

Last edited by wanda; 06-27-2007 at 07:52 AM.
wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
ck1995

Wanda,

It will likely be hard for anyone to give much design advice particularly without any pictures to better explain what you are describing. Personally, my reccomendation would be to look at as many pictures, magazines, tile stores etc to get you tile design theme so you know what you want.

As far as topping the knee wall, marble is commonly used for this and is usually left with an overhang similar to what is likley on your window. Hope that helps a little.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
wanda

Thank you, Chuck. I've been looking at pictures all over the place, but can't seem to find anything very similar to what I have. Other homes in our neighborhood are all finished like mine presently is, of course because they were basically built by the same contractor.

Hopefully this picture will attach and give you guys an idea of what I'm talking about. Please ignore the dated pink blinds....oh my!

Well, the picture doesn't seem to be showing when I preview the post. I used the attach files option - what else should I do, or do I need to host it elsewhere?....Never mind - it showed when I actually hit post.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
wanda

Bumping this back to the top because I really need some help deciding what to do.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Wanda,

I'm no decorator, but I like to keep everything at the same height if possible. Makes for a clean look.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:20 AM   #6
ck1995

Wanda,

Sorry nobody else has chimed in but it is kind of hard to weigh in on what your asking as alot will come down to your preferences.

What you said your tile guy suggested sounds like it could look nice. If you have the pieces maybe you could hold or tape some in place to try and better visualize the end result. If your tile guy is experienced and knows his stuff that likely would translate into the design as well, (check out the pics in the liberry for what some of these guys have done). However, keep in mind even if he is a tile designing genius, different people have different design preferences and you are the one who has to live with it.

More importantly, you should check out the proper construction methods on the site and ensure he intends to do it right.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
wanda

John, when you say you "like to keep everything at the same height" are you suggesting tile and listel be to the height of the knee wall? I think because the entire knee wall is presently tiled makes it more difficult for me to visualize it ending lower - a creature of habit, I guess.

Chuck, we're still waiting on the arrival of one of the tiles or I would be proping them up somehow - a tactic I love! I wish I did have a preference. The existing tile method never bothered me, but my tile guy says it wasn't done in a "normal" manner. I do trust him implicitly but, like you said, I have to live with it. I have been known to do things differently than the norm when it works for me; I just can't "see" this yet.

Is the configuration of my knee wall and garden tub different than the norm? Asking because nowhere have I seen the set-up I have. I will do a little more looking in the library.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I think the picture you posted is not of your own bathroom? Is there a way you can show us a picture of the actual job site? We're working in the dark here.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
wanda

Nope, that is my bathroom - I promise - Ugly pink blinds and all!
Old 06-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
wanda

Bumping again!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase