Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
cmac2012

Tub surround

Doing my first major bathroom remodel in years. I will finally break down and buy the e-books here, I really need to sharpen my game.

My immediate question is about sheetrocking the room. The wall, up against which the long back side of the tub will sit, is below grade (in the half-basement, house on a hill). Just removed the old shower (room is doubling in length, or width rather, going to borrow room from the prior family room, now my client's largest rented room).

The framing on that wall is 2x4s flat against, or close to, the concrete. Going to put in the 1.5 inch solid foam insulation. The tub is porcelain clad thin steel. Everything I've seen so far, and over the years, is to attach the tub up against the bare studs. My thought is to put the purple/green rock down to the floor and then proceed as if it was still bare studs. Would then put the concrete board down to the lip and the tile down to 1/4" about the upper tub shoulder.

I just cant see any value in putting the rock down over the lip. I mean, sure, it's water resistant but still.

But would this be overkill? Should I instead just put concrete board over felt against the studs? My thought was that the rock would help to ensure the insulation of the foam board. We're taking the tile to the ceiling, three sides.

Last edited by cmac2012; 03-05-2018 at 04:11 PM.
cmac2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Having the tub go against the studs will allow the cement board to finish out further over the tub lip. Sometimes this is helpful, especially on the two end walls when the framed opening is a little wider than needed.

Can you install the CBU over the tub in place of the greenboard?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase