Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
argile_tile

help please. is 1/2" travertine/sandstone tile thickness for floor "good/ok"

Will 1/2" fragile travertine be enough to avoid cracking on a often wet bathroom floor (travertine bonded directly to new plywood btw)? Will porosity leak through to the plywood if not "sealed" or such issues?

The rest is Background info:

A contractor told me "it's just a sample", the flooring sandstone (some say travertine) will be thicker.

However the contractor is using the same 1/2" inside on floor (and on above bathtub on walls).

I stepped on a cut-off piece lightly accidentally broke it while trying to access my garage shelf. I'm %100 sure this stuff is far weaker then 8mm ceramic tile (.3") I work with (next time: through-tile or good stone, is my motto

ALSO: the salesman sample appeared glossy and salesman stated "they have a special license required, its' not just silicone treatment" (i google it couldn't find any such product or treatment). (the travertine is rough i assume they haven't "treated" it yet). HOWEVER: if they make the floor glossy it'd be slippery, but if they don't treat it - it's on plywood and sandstone is porous, so i assume there may be a moisture issue (assuring you the occupants will leave water on the floor while saying they havent'

Finally, the salesman guaranteed his company uses TCA certified labor, but the laborers are from maryland, usa and do not speak english (i'm doubting the TCA part at this time).

Please advise if 1/2" sandstone laid properly "is thick enough to avoid pre-mature fracture". (as for need of sealing and prohibition on glossy wet floors in my area - i think i already know the answer - it's supposedly not allowed - but if you know about this please shout out).
Old 03-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
argile_tile

correction

the 1/2" fragile tavertine floor was laid on ditra, not directly on plywood
Old 03-04-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Argile,

Industry standards call for two layers of plywood under stone tiles.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
argile_tile

I'll have to check later. I know new plywood and ditra (blocky thick plastic) went on floor but someone else was responsible for "monitoring" and keeping photos. I'd have to see if i can find a "peek angle" to see that.

I assume you mean two 3/8" ply (installed T) are preffered to single 3/4" ply.

But Mr. Bridges does that mean 1/2" fragile stone could be sufficient as flooring?
Old 03-04-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
Redlands Okie

Quote:
Originally Posted by argile_tile View Post
I'll have to check later. I know new plywood and ditra (blocky thick plastic) went on floor but someone else was responsible for "monitoring" and keeping photos. I'd have to see if i can find a "peek angle" to see that.

I assume you mean two 3/8" ply (installed T) are preffered to single 3/4" ply.

But Mr. Bridges does that mean 1/2" fragile stone could be sufficient as flooring?

Depending on joist spacing its more likely two layers of 3/4 inch. Look at the schluter handbooks drawings or TCNA book for your floor.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If the structure (joists and subflooring) meet industry standards, and the workmanship was good, it doesn't really matter on the tile...being 100% supported (the good workmanship part), the tile should be okay. While not particularly hard, any installation is detail oriented. Failing one step can make a big difference.

While there are some topical sealers, most of the time, people use a penetrating one. Depending on the type, some of those can have little visual effect, some can make the tile look wet. A topical one that sits on the surface will wear down like any finish, and require replacement/renewal, so is not the greatest idea on a floor where traffic and wear patterns can show up.

On most tile, they get their shine from the manufacturing process. Don't expect it as an after installation practice and if it does show it, expect to have to redo it periodically on a floor.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #7
argile_tile

thank you so much.

that reminds me before i lay any tile or stone in the future to get the NEW TCA book - i still only have the very old free online one that i was told i should not use
Old 03-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
As far as I know the requirement for two layers of wood for any stone floor has not changed. But if the job has been done I wouldn't tear it out.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase