Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 02-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
drwcal

laser

Has anyone used any of the Bosch line levels. I would mostly use it for wall layout for interior.

Thanks

Dirk
Old 02-18-2018, 06:54 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Mine is the GTL3, mainly used on floors when tiling on a 45. One of the laser lights stopped working soon after the warranty was out. I called them to get an address to send it to for repairs and the lady said that those can't be worked on, that they were disposable. That kinda hacked me off. A month or two later the light came back on and it has worked fine since. So, to be honest, I'm not sure what to think about Bosch lasers.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #3
smifwal

I haven't had any of davy's problems fortunately I have the GTL3, GLL3-80 and the GLSL2 and have had pretty good results. god forbid that I have to call them and they tell me something like they did Davy. We are going to have a moment. Cause if I remember right Davy told them that he would pay to have it recalibrated and they said it is a throw away. I buy throw away paint brushes I do not buy throw away lasers for $600.00 I am going to need some customer service interaction Mine works great but there are some other threads about lasers it is a ford chevy debate
Old 02-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The GTL3 is about 200 bucks. It does seem to be accurate when it's working but since it's not a high dollar laser, I guess they don't think it's worth working on.

Yes, it was barely out of warranty and I was willing to pay to have the light fixed and I'm sure it would need to be re-calibrated. It's not something we use very often but it sure is handy when we do use it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:32 PM   #5
RichVT
Vermont Remodeling Contractor

I have the Bosch GLL3-80 and one of the vertical line very fuzzy. Also out of warranty.

I bought a Stabila as a replacement after seeing and handling all of the options at a builder's show. It was defective out of the box - the laser died after about a minute. They replaced it no problem.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
Cperry

I have the gtl3 also and other than the on/off button being a pita it's a great laser
Old 02-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #7
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
tile lackey

I've never had good success with Bosch tools but I bought the PL 180 laser and the FT 90 and would purchase either again. I think they're awesome!

I do have the Bosch laser pole and adjustable mount and am very happy with both of those.

edit: For some reason, my vertical photo posted vertically. Normally, those are turned. Hmmmmmm........
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #8
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Have a cheap bosch i got from hd after the last one was stolen. They work good for close-in type work, but I double check with stick levels before trusting it too far out. These little cheap line lasers are good for what they're designed for - showers, baths, kitchens - just don't expect them to layout big areas very well.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #9
fulms

I have a bosch gpl5 i think it is, that I like but completely agree with dana I wouldn't trust it for anything to large. Showers ok. When I did a 32'x60' living room I laid it out with strings. Call me old fashion but I used string line to layout a lot of things before all this fancy technology of gps units, smart levels and all that. What I can tell you is 60' across that living room I was within 1/8".. strings don't lie. This was for a floor layout though.

As for walls: Small shower walls: Id measure it out. Screw a board to the wall below your second row (that was level) and start tiling.

Larger walls: Commercial kitchens. I would be using a rotary laser level
Old 03-02-2018, 06:01 PM   #10
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I picked up this Bosch self leveling laser from Amazon a couple of years ago. Works great for vertical or horizontal layouts...http://www.sears.com/bosch-factory-r...-SPM5961603707

Factory reconditioned with warranty, I think I paid under three hundred bucks...

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:48 AM   #11
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I still have my water level (hose).
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase