Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 02-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Concrete dust collection. What do you use?

Hi guys. I was asked if i wanted to remove about 1200 feet of tile. I don't really want to do it but i think i cant pass up the money.
I usually don't tackle tear outs of this size and am not set up to capture this amount of thinset/ concrete dust. My current setup is an 8 inch grinder with a dust shroud, and a shop vac.
Looking for recommendations for prefilter or dust separator. I have seen a few basic designs and could make one. Thinking about a 40+/- gallon rubber made trashcan on wheels with an intake/ exhaust built in to it. Would also consider spending a few hundred dollars on real one.
Any suggestions or recomendation? My stoner buddy suggested a bubble filter of some type but i don't think i want to deal with a huge chunk of concrete mud when i need to dump it. Or maybe i do?

I pulled up a few tiles when i first looked at it. They come up easy and leave a solid 1/8th to 1/4th of thinset stuck to the concrete. The house is empty and a little dust in the air isn't as issue.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #2
Simplyjames

Air scrubbers can be pricey. I have in the past just used well placed fans and air movers along with strategic opening of windows. Maybe skip the grinder too. Ive usually been able to have good success using a simple razor scraper. Id rather burn through several boxes of blades than churn up all that silica.
Whatever you do, remember to mask up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACT certified installer #015
californiaflooringltd.com
Simplyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Concrete dust collection. What do you use?

There's. extensive discussions about that here. Think a combination of tools with proper duct collection design, specially designed hi cfm vacs, air cleaners /scrubbers, and temp walls. Demo & prep have different requirements, so these may not all be needed.

The initial investment is somewhat hi, but necessary to do it properly & safely.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "

Last edited by dhagin; 02-16-2018 at 01:46 PM. Reason: add Info
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
Just In Tile LLC

I use the dust deputy and connect them to my tools, fan in a window and plastic over rooms doors that have furniture. Won't start still I feel a draft from masked off spaces meaning I've created the negative pressure to keep any escaping dust from flowing into places I don't want. Turn off AC so it doesn't compete for air intake. Usually tape off vents and any fixtures I can reach.

Pretty cool DIY dust collection I saw for a demo hammer was a flex gutter drain hose n with a 2" pvc fitting. Heat the pvc up with torch or heat gun and template your vac hose to it.

Another cool design I saw work was basically a bong using said 2"pvc and water bucket with a lid. Hose gets connected to side of the bucket at an angle so water stays out of the house, and intake to the vac was at the top. All air travels through the water
Old 02-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Thanks for the replies. I have seen the dust deputy. I think i will rig something like that up on a medium sized trash can

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:14 AM   #6
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Contact Oneida and purchase a unit for a large drum unit or get the commercial unit. Don't screw around trying to jury rig something. The cost of a professional cleaning crew to clean up your dust will be way more than the price of a Dust Deputy and a good Air Scrubber. Believe me...I know.
Also..have you priced a new set of lungs lately?

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase