Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-31-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
mikepart

Need advice on badly sloped shower floor

We wanted a curbless shower, but unfortunately after the floor was laid, we discovered that there is a low spot where the water sits. We contacted our tile man, who looked at it and admitted it was indeed his fault. He says that to remedy it, he could lay another floor on top of the existing tile and that we would only have a small curb at the entrance. Tearing the existing floor out completely risks breaking the blue glass mosaic wall. What would you suggest as our best course of action?
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
Kman

What is the waterproofing? How long since the tile was set?

I would, depending on the answer to the above questions, remove the tile that are low and a few surrounding tile to correct the slope.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
mikepart

The tile was set late December into early January (grouting finished Jan 4th). We contacted the tile man shortly thereafter to bring the low spot to his attention, but he has started another job (now full-time as a tile inspector) that involves travel & hasn’t gotten back to us in the last week. Waterproofing was Redguard.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
Kman

Well, on one hand, tiling over that would be the easiest fix. Your shower could be back in service very shortly.

On the other hand, you paid for something better, and that's a shower that drains properly without having two layers of tile or a bump at the door. I would want the existing floor fixed properly, and not covered up. Whatever you can work out with the installer that is to your satisfaction is what matters.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:28 AM   #5
mikepart

Another question on tiling over tile

Thanks, Kman, for responding. We settled on his refloating the floor and tiling over the existing tile, but after reading the thread on water puddling, i’m wondering about the waterproofing, I.e., will water be trapped between the layers of tile? I intend to pour some water into the new bed to check the drainage—but before I do, is that the right way to go?
Old 02-09-2018, 05:36 AM   #6
Kman

It won't be trapped, it just won't dry as well as the rest of the floor. While you won't have a puddle there, the grout above it will probably stay wet until the water evaporates from underneath because it can't drain.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I wouldn't accept a second layer of tile. I would want the floor removed and installed correctly.

And, this guy is a tile inspector.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 02-09-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #8
mikepart

Since we already paid him in full (not having anticipated this difficulty) and he now has another full time job, i’m not sure what recourse we have to get him to do that. Also, the company where we purchased the tile warned that if any of the glass tile were damaged and had to be removed, we might get into problems with having to pull that tile out with possible damage to the backer board. Any thoughts on these issues?
Old 02-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Mike, there shouldn't be any backer board on the shower floor. Yes, you may have to buy more tiles if you didn't have any left over.

Regardless of his current job, he still needs to stand behind his work.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:51 PM   #10
mikepart

Question

Davy, I wasn’t as clear as I might have thought I was being. Backer board is not on the floor but behind the blue-green mosaic glass tile wall that ends in the shower floor. I think I might be able to get the floor tile out carefully, but if I chip the glass tile in doing it, my wife would not be happy. (Of course she’s not especially happy about the current state of the floor either.) I ran some water in the new underlayment that the tile guy did on top of the other tiles and while it drains, the water still doesn’t drain as quickly out of the “built up” low spot as I think it should, so now i’m wondering if i’m checking the slope right. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:23 AM   #11
mikepart

Pics of shower layout/floor

First pic shows reflection of glass block shower and blue glass mosaic wall in colors closer to the real thing. Second & third show where glass mosaic wall abuts the floor., hopefully this time they’re right side up. My wife might be amenable to digging out the floor tile—she can fantasize aiming every blow at the tile Man—(better him than me, I say) but we just don’t want to also strip tile from the surrounding walls. We’re thinking of using white ceramic 2x2s to go over the current rectfied 2x2 porcelain shower floor that theoretically matches the exact color of the larger white 16x16 matte white tiles on the floor, but that showed a lot of corner and sideways edge irregularities, so even well-laid,it did’t look very good.
Mike
Attached Images

Last edited by mikepart; 02-12-2018 at 12:36 AM.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase