Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 02-05-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
TurboSAAB

How to remove these grout stains from shower floor...

Hi guys,

My new bathroom was done around 6 months ago. Someone recommended by this forum did the work. Shower was constructed using the kerdi system. The shower floor uses the foam kerdi preslope. Tile is porcelain (marble look). The grout on the walls is permacolor...the floor is not...I forget the exact name but it is a TEC grout.

After about 2 months we started getting mold/mildew stains on the floor/lower walls. A good cleaning resolved that, and since then had been using a daily shower spray (Earth Friendly Products plant based stuff) which helped between cleanings...until now...

Now, I have the following stains on the shower floor. I tried to remove them with a tile cleaner that contains bleach (this stuff..appears to be 2%...https://www.target.com/p/mold-and-mi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds). No good. I tried Concrobium Mold Stain Eraser (after using their Mold Control). No good. What else can I safely try to use? Would a more concentrated mix of bleach and water be safe to use just this once?

Once I get this cleaned up, I want to make a habit of squeegeeing the walls and drying off the floor with a towel every day and get away from using a daily shower spray. I also did use stuff like Scrubbing Bubbles and the tile cleaner containing bleach at various times for the first few cleanings and would like to get away from the harsh stuff.

Lastly, should this floor be sealed? 511? Want it to still breathe and 511 allows that?

So to sum up, I want to get these stains out...I want a good cleaning plan going forward...and am curious if I should seal the floor (and while I'm at it the walls too...ceramic white Subway tiles, permacolor silver shadow grout).

Thanks a million! I will reach out to the contractor for advice as well...but good to get a consensus from you guys!
Attached Images

Last edited by TurboSAAB; 02-05-2018 at 08:21 PM.
TurboSAAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #2
Kman

Welcome back, Al.

If you already have a good exhaust fan, then there are a few other suggestions I would make:

1. Towel dry the shower after each use. If two people are using it back to back, only the last person to use it would need to dry it. A squeegee helps, but I've found a towel to be faster and more thorough. Your call.

2. If the shower has a door, leave it open as much as possible to accelerate drying.

3. If possible, switch to liquid soap. For some reason it requires less cleaning.

4. When cleaning is required, use equal parts white vinegar and the blue Dawn dishwashing liquid. Heat the vinegar in the microwave first, then add the Dawn. Shake it up to mix them in a spray bottle, and spray it on the affected areas. Let it sit for about an hour, and light scrubbing will remove normal stains. Rinse thoroughly. It's generally more for soap scum, I haven't tried it on mildew.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
TurboSAAB

Thanks for all that advice!

Yep, I have an exhaust fan and I run it during showers and for about 30 minutes after the shower. I now have started keeping the door open for a little while after a shower. I will begin toweling the shower after use. (I do get 1 standing puddle of water immediately adjacent to the kerdi drain. I shower mornings and my wife nights so that puddle never really goes away. My contractor said sometimes puddles right beside the drain happen...only a problem if standing puddles at other parts of the floor. It looks like toweling will help with this.) The liquid soap I will have to look into...my wife just bought a pack of 32 bar soap from Costco haha!

I will try your suggestions on those stains. That's my main concern right now...get those stains cleaned up and then implement the maintenance plan mentioned above, which I am glad to see jives with your suggestions.

One additional question...my curbing and shelves in my niche are marble...thassos marble to be exact. What cleaners would be safe for these areas? Also, should the marble at least be sealed?

Thanks!

Last edited by TurboSAAB; 02-06-2018 at 09:25 AM.
TurboSAAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:24 PM   #4
Kman

There should be no standing water anywhere on the floor. Water due to surface tension is one thing. It eventually runs to the drain or evaporates. A puddle due to a low spot is the result of an inadequate slope, and poor workmanship.

You'll have to find a neutral (non-acidic) cleaner for the marble. And after it's clean and dry try a sealer from the miracles sealants line.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #5
TurboSAAB

Thanks again Kman!

Here is a pic of that puddle by the way, the shiny area to the right of the drain. I guess the location of it doesn't matter, as you said no puddles are good! But, I wanted to see what you think anyway. This shower was built using the kerdi foam pre-slope...and was done by the resident JohnBridge approved expert in my area. I'm guessing even as it is not ideal, you wouldn't do anything about it at this point? Just be good about toweling the floor off? Like I said, this area is perpetually wet since the shower is used once in the morning and once at night. The puddle never has time to fully evaporate. The rest of the shower floor dries out pretty darn fast.

And regarding the marble sealer...a similar sealer would be good to use on the grout of the shower floor? (But not needed on the porcelain floor tiles themselves?)

I really appreciate all of the help!!!
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
Kman

I can see a little spit of water, and the wet grout joints, but I can't tell how much water you have standing there.

Basically, if you can dry it every day, it won't be a problem for you, although not ideal.

Miracle Sealants has a wide variety of sealants, take a look at them and see what's appropriate for your application. I'm not familiar with them enough to recommend a particular one on the spot. My brain can hold only so much information, and it's rapidly getting full.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I'm an advocate of towel drying the shower after use. Besides alleviating mold and wet spots, you'll never need to seriously clean the shower.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #8
TurboSAAB

Thanks guys!

The towel drying thing is funny...the idea of it seems like it'd be this crazy chore. But we started doing it now and it barely takes 30 seconds and it does seem to make a huge difference! And you're right, don't really see the need for a squeegee...the towel does it all just fine.

And kman, the puddle area is only the 2 tile by 2 tile area directly to the right of the drain. With the towelling now it's a non issue anyway.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I always love a happy ending.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase