Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-01-2018, 08:39 AM   #16
pruff

Installing a corner tub

Our next project in our new bathroom is to install a drop in corner tub with an approximate 6" edge around the whole thing. However, this was a little bit of an afterthought and we have already installed sheetrock where we want the corner tub to go. It is also on (2) exterior walls where there are windows. Our plan is to tile from the tub edge to the bottom of the window. My questions is, can we just tile over the existing sheetrock or should the sheetrock be removed and replaced with cement board ? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks,
Kraul
Old 02-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #17
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Is this strictly a tub? NO showering in it?

If so you could possibly get away with just tiling over the drywall, long as you don't envision a lot of water being splashed onto the tile.

Better still would be to use a sheet water proofing membrane like Kerdi or USG's membrane and seal it to the tub deck with their respective sealants. Either would add minimal thickness to the wall.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #18
pruff

Yes, this is strictly a Jacuzzi corner tub, no shower. I don't anticipate much water being splashed up onto the tiles.
If we do the water proofing membrane, would it go up the wall where we plan on tiling or just on the decking (edge) around the tub ?
Old 02-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #19
pruff

tiling where wall meets shower pan

We are getting ready to tile our shower, but where the cement board meets the acrylic shower pan flange, there is one side that has more like a 1/2" gap instead of 1/8 to 1/4". Do I need to fill this with something ?
Also, when applying the bottom row of tiles, do you mortar the shower pan where the very bottom edge of the tile sits or just mortar to the bottom edge of the cement board ?

Thanks,
Kraul
Old 02-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #20
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

When installing the moisture barrier on the wall, you want that overlapping the tiling flange of the shower receptor. As long as your bottom row of tile is more than 50% supported on the wall, that gap isn't anissue. Keep in mind that there should be a small gap beneath the tile that will get caulked (any changes of plane or materials should have movement accommodation).

Because you aren't walking on the wall, that lower edge being slightly unsupported isn't a big issue. You can get some thinset behind against the tiling flange if it's tall enough.

Have you looked at any expansion joint profiles? If you use one of those, I think it makes a cleaner look, and you never need to caulk things. They'll work at both the pan/wall interface and in the corners (different profiles).
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #21
pruff

caulking between tile and acrylic shower pan

I think this issue has been addressed before, but I'm not sure that I found a good answer. Perhaps there is more than one opinion on this ! We installed an acrylic shower pan, plastic barrier behind the CBU and are now tiling. However, do we or don't we caulk the bottom where the tile meets the shower pan ? It's a little confusing because it seems to me the whole purpose of the plastic overhanging in the shower pan is so that any moisture will drain down in the pan, but how can that happen if it's caulked there ??
Old 02-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #22
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Before having joined this delightful, insightful, and most informative forum I'd have fully caulked that joint and left any accumulated water to find it's own way out.

Leave a number of inconspicuous openings. They don't need to be big. Maybe place a level on the rims of the shower pan - if it slopes in any direction leave a gap in the caulk near the end of that slope. If it's dead level I'd probably leave an opening at the front and back of each wall.

I'll offer this for validation; the high quality molded shower pan I used has build in recesses in the rim, near the front, left and right sides, exactly for that purpose.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase