Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #181
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Wall ... floor... its all the same.

Just rotate the picture 90.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:38 AM   #182
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Have you laid out the wall tile to see where the holes would fall?

If I were faced with that challenge I'd get the tile as far inboard of the toilet perimeter line, around the large holes, and drill the smaller holes for the mounting studs. Maybe cut the tile in half across the hole then use a saw to remove each half round portion. It's not as though the back of the toilet is a continuous, uninterrupted plane. As long as you have the bearing points sufficiently supported it'll be fine.

Caulking wise, I only mentioned it because my own preference is thin joints for as little caulk as possible. Given that tile profile you're already going to be a little challenged to get a clean caulk, not to mention grout, line.

Was just curious if your Geberit has a small hose coming out of the top of the fill valve. Mine appears to have the nipple for the hose, but no hose.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #183
Mathelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Remodeler
Caulking the terlit to the floor is required by code in Texas. We are old school and like to leave a 2 inch gap at the rear of the terlit to allow any water to escape and show a leak. If it never leaks, the gap will not matter.
Louis
Mathelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #184
Mathelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
Have you laid out the wall tile to see where the holes would fall?

If I were faced with that challenge I'd get the tile as far inboard of the toilet perimeter line, around the large holes, and drill the smaller holes for the mounting studs. Maybe cut the tile in half across the hole then use a saw to remove each half round portion. It's not as though the back of the toilet is a continuous, uninterrupted plane. As long as you have the bearing points sufficiently supported it'll be fine.

Caulking wise, I only mentioned it because my own preference is thin joints for as little caulk as possible. Given that tile profile you're already going to be a little challenged to get a clean caulk, not to mention grout, line.

Was just curious if your Geberit has a small hose coming out of the top of the fill valve. Mine appears to have the nipple for the hose, but no hose.
The wall behind the toilet will take a little over 4 tiles. Each tile is 8" wide. If I try to make this work with minimal cuts to the tile, the tiles will meet close to the center line of the toilet. If I understand your suggestion, I should try and get a full tile down the center of the toilet. As the attached baseboard shot illustrates, that would put the large holes in the panel and the smaller holes on the edge of the panel. This would allow me to cut the panel in pieces for the large holes. Is that what you are suggesting?

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking on the Geberit. I assume you mean inside the tank? I'll have to take a look. I haven't had it open in awhile.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #185
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
If, for instance, you have a tile that is dead centered over the large holes. I would cut that tile in half horizontally across the center of the top hole, and again for the bottom hole. Draw the 4 half circles on the cut tiles, use your wet saw to make a bunch of cuts to the half circle line - maybe an 1/8" or so between each cut, chip out the left over bits. You're left with an ugly, but effective half circle - which no one will see. Can do the same process if the holes fall on the long edges of the tiles.

Ya know how a traditional toilet fill valve has a small hose attached to a nipple on the top, and that hose squirts water into the vertical fill tube in order to replenish the water in the bowl? The Geberit fill valve appears to have one of those nipples, but no hose attached. Was curious is yours does.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #186
Mathelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
Ya know how a traditional toilet fill valve has a small hose attached to a nipple on the top, and that hose squirts water into the vertical fill tube in order to replenish the water in the bowl? The Geberit fill valve appears to have one of those nipples, but no hose attached. Was curious is yours does.
Louis
Mathelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase