Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
brian73

Rental water damage repairs

Got a call from the tenants of some mold... Well turns out the entire house had a mold problem from a couple different leaks. So its a perfect time to update. The plan is 12x24 tile throughout, including showers. Ditra on all floors and kerdi showers... At this point I have completed most of the drywall repairs, all mold removed. Here are some pictures of what I started with.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
brian73

Master shower

Pulling down the shower shows a few leaks, a perfect example how green board is not safe behind a shower without some sort of waterproofing. Shower curb was also saturated, it appeared more like a sponge then 2x4. Check out the coverage on the tile, some had 0%... Tile just fell off the wall once I started removing the top rows.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
brian73

Hall Bath

Shows similar issure with the green board, but not nearly as bad as master. Tile one again had little coverage. More mildew and mold found behind the walls
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
brian73

Drywall repairs in kitchen completed

After the drywall guy did a pretty crappy job decided to take on the rest of the drywall myself. Kitchen is back together and waiting for cabinet install. Will tile after cabinets are installed.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
brian73

bathroom shower change of shape

Shower had some odd angles and was unsure about getting shower doors to work well with it... Who does 35 degrees? So decided best thing was to just make it rectangle... I would have liked to remove the dropped ceiling over the shower, but the joists in the ceiling would have made that too difficult. Best thing is to square it up.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
Kman

35 degrees? Yeah, that sounds about right.

I hate those dropped ceilings, and get rid of them whenever possible. If they're a chase for ductwork, that's a different story, but just for looks? Nah.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
brian73

Yeah, i assume it was done just so the light could be centered... They did them in the kitchen also, wanted to remove but they ran all the electrical through them... Still kind of wished i would have removed, but its a rental and not worth dealing with all that.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #8
brian73

Floors are in pretty bad shape... will do the best i can for what it is. There is a high spot where it looks like when the house settled, it cracked and created a mountain. 10' straight edge shows a good inch or more drop. So basically trying to round it over the best I can. I was going to lay the tiles long ways down the hall, but figured I would have much better luck minimizing lippage running them across. I had tiled the bathrooms over 10 years ago and no cracked tiles, so assume the slab is done moving. Based on the condition of the floor probably should have went with 6x6 tiles, but gotta do things the hard way
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #9
brian73

Tile we will be using... 12x24 rectified with 1/8 grout... Grout will be Bostik Trucolor to match tile.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2018, 03:40 PM   #10
Kman

Is there any height difference from one side of the crack to the other?

Old 02-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #11
brian73

Well, depends on what you consider difference. It looks to me like the back of the house settled. So at the crack, it starts downwards. Right at the crack its level... The Crack runs across the entire house, and through a bathroom I previously tiled. Not the ideal floor to tile, but I am not doing carpet again, and laminates etc are not durable enough for renters. The tile in the bathroom held up even though I removed it, no broken/cracked tiles and no evidence there was any floor movement below the tiles. We plan to keep on hand a few boxes of tile, just in case, lol...
Old 02-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #12
Kman

Vertical displacement is something that the tile wouldn't be able to handle, even with a crack suppression membrane.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #13
brian73

Yes, I am aware of the vertical displacement issues. After inspecting the area of tile I had removed, you can see the thinset in the cracks, its still completely intact, and appears there has been 0 movement in the last 14 years. I chose to use ditra just as a precaution, whats a few hundred on a job this big.

Yesterday was able to lay some tile, everything turned out pretty good except for deciding I would level the bath as I tiled... I have told myself over and over level first then tile, but was in a hurry... Bad idea, but its flat and looks good. This time around I tried out the Rubi quick level kit, I really liked it. I already have a TLS, but straps are not available locally and are expensive. I actually liked the quick level kit better. Pictures to come later...
Old 02-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #14
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
I chose to use ditra just as a precaution.....
Brian, Ditra is not a crack isolation product. And if you do elect to use a crack isolation product, you'll still need to honor that crack up through the tile surface.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:08 AM   #15
brian73

Yes, I am aware of that. The previous tiles lasted 14 years, with Ditra and were only removed because we did not have any additional tiles to fit around the new vanity. I doubt that slab is moving anymore, and if it does, and the tiles crack, its a rental... I would rather have a handful of cracked tiles then replacing carpet every 3-5 years. If every tile cracked that was in contact with the crack, that is about 10-12 tiles. I plan to keep at least 10 boxes of tiles on hand... That is less then $300... Its all about the long term cost to me. I can replace any broken tiles every 3-5 years and still be saving big money on carpet. Laminates are all out of the question because of durability. I also understand ditra is not marketed as a crack isolation product, to me ditra was simply "it won't hurt to have it"... I am no expert on the subject, but have read through many threads on ditra for crack prevention... Ditra is pretty cheap... easy to install. and I had good luck with it for the last 14 years.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase