Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
cngodfather1

collated screw gun

Hi!

I am going to install a 1000 sq/ft 1/2" subfloor over my existing subfloor. I will also be adding 1/4" hardibacker over that. I will be doing some drywall in the future. I was wondering what the best collated screw gun I should use. I am not a professional installer by trade. i will just be using it for my house for various projects. I don't want to break my budget, but I don't want to buy garbage and regret the purchase. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

There are a lot of different options with "Quick Drive" being the mechanism for handling the screws with different driving guns. I'd stick to a driving gun that's 2,500RPM or less. While it's a tiny bit slower driving, you get more torque and it's a lot easier on the gun than the faster spinners. Do you have one in mind? Asking your question is kinna like asking which car to buy. Lotsa choices and we can't talk extensively about everything. But if you're considering a few, point them out and we can talk in detail.

But HardiBacker is a serious pain trying to use a quick drive mechanism on, as the stuff is so dense. The screw heads will generally not wanna drive flush. For multiple reasons, I'd switch to 1/4" Durock in a second. Three main reasons: it is not as dense and doesn't transmit substructure movement to the tile as readily as Hardi. It's easy to drive a screw flush to its surface. And Durock is a surface that's easy for mortar to grab a wicked strong bond to. I don't like having to wet, and re-wet the Hardi multiple times before spreading mortar just because it's so darn thirsty that it would otherwise prematurely pull the moisture from the thinset. Now I don't take shortcuts on anything. Evden if a product is only a wee bit better, yet a lot harder to install, I'll install it. I want the best possible installs. But Durock is a slam dunk to me. I like it better all the way around. The only thing about Durock that I'd change if I could....is to make it less messy when you cut it.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
Kman

Yep, Durock over Hardi any day.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:59 AM   #4
cngodfather1

I hadn't thought about that. It looked like the hardibacker was stronger. The way durock was more crumbly, it seemed like it would break apart more easily. I am still learning.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #5
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Neither Hardi nor Durock add any strength to the subfloor. They are just good substrates to tile on to.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
cngodfather1

Has anyone tried a "tyrex" brand gun? I was looking at a tyrex d404.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #7
cngodfather1

Tyrex D600 collated screw gun

anybody use this gun? reviews?
Old 12-30-2017, 06:21 PM   #8
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Is this the tool you have in mind, Christopher?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:56 PM   #9
Kman

I have one of those. It works well.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #10
cngodfather1

Really, I am open to options. I will probably buy online for a deal somewhere. I found this one that i hopefully can get a good price. I really just don't want to buy garbage. I have never heard of it. As I get older, I prefer to have good tools. I have had my share of harbor freight stuff and now I like to have stuff that I can count on. I also don't want to drop 500 bucks every time i want something new. When I do my subfloor, I have 1000 ft to do. It would be nice to just have a tool that works faster. my cordless screwdriver will put screws in. a collated screw gun will make my life easier. I bought a nice mixer, I bought a good tile saw, I bought a concrete board cutter. It is getting to where I spent almost 700 in tools alone for this one project. I hope to use them in the future as well but if I spend any more and the gun doesn't do what I want it to, I will be pissed! Any input would definately be helpful. If you guys can tell me what you use, what works well, or what definately did not- I would really appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #11
HS345
Tile Contractor

The corded Senco Duraspin collated screw guns work very well, and won't break the bank.

The Tyrex fasteners will work in the Senco guns, but I find the Senco brand fasteners to be of a much higher quality for only a few bucks more. If you have a Menards in your area, they stock the guns and the fasteners.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #12
cngodfather1

I bought the Tyrex D600AC. It works very well. I put 5000 screws through it with very little problems. If anyone is thinking about getting a similar model, it is discontinued and parts are unavailable.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase