Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #46
Redlands Okie

Is this shoddy work?

Keeping the posting to the subject of the tile, job, etc is always nice. Any other info is immaterial for trying to help or get help on all the problems this lady seems to be having on her tile job.
One nice thing about this site is the amount of info and experience and skill that is so generously provided. Has helped me on several items.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #47
kktalker

My kids' trauma

Travis, my children are not suffering trauma because of bad tile work. They are suffering trauma because they lost their four-year-old sister within the past year. Several of my children have special needs and/or come from a foster/adopt background, which compounds the difficulty in how we meet their trauma needs. At this time, helping my children heal is more important than me doing my own tile work.

When you commented on the youtube video, you insinuated that I think my family is "too good" for government schooling. I have several children whose special needs cannot be accommodated adequately in an institutional education setting. Some will never live independent of their primary caregivers (my husband and me).

I have no idea what any of this has to do with tile.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:02 AM   #48
Dave Gobis
da Man!

I don't know Travis but it sounded to me like his offer was one of goodwill. It is often difficult for one to express themselves correctly or adequately in the confines of a keyboard, something I have also suffered from at times.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:14 PM   #49
tatumjonj

kktalker, I agree that comment was uncalled/joke was in poor taste, in fact I pointed it out, but I reread his comment about your video and I don't see anywhere where he flat out said or even insinuated that your kids are too good for "government schooling", which is in fact referred to as public education by almost everybody in the universe.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #50
kktalker

Hi Jon, thanks for your comment. I was referring to a nasty comment made by Travis at the YouTube page. It was an offensive personal attack and was visible to my contractor, so I disabled commenting at the YouTube page.

I really appreciate how levelheaded this group is, and what logical advice I've received. You all are helping me more than you know.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:52 PM   #51
tatumjonj

OK, sorry to hear that, but not surprised in the least as I've had issues with him before myself. That's not typical around here. Most people are at a minimum super helpful. Hope you get all your issues taken care of.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #52
kktalker

Regrouting shower, mismatched grout color

I am regrouting a shower that was grouted improperly by someone else the first time. All the tile in the bathroom is a new install. There is 12x24 field tile in the shower (about 100sf inside shower) and the lower 4' of wall in the rest of the bathroom (about 25sf outside shower). The entire room has 5/8" square tile (glass, stone, and metal) mosaic band 6" wide, and there is a shower niche with the same mosaic tile. The field tile and mosaic were originally grouted with Mapei Ultracolor Plus FA (fine aggregate). I am also installing two rows of the mosaic tile in the shower niche that were never finished. The picture below below shows the niche before someone else removed some rows of mosaic tile, but you can see the different colors of grout.

Due to shenanegans which could fill a novel, the grouting was done in two stages. The first stage covered part of the field tile and the mosaic band in the shower. The second stage covered most of the field tile, the shower niche, and the mosaic band outside the shower. The second stage resulted in a drastically darker color of grout (I am pretty sure a wrong bag was used). Further, the job was left with spots in all areas where some grout has been removed, so I will need to regrout spots in all areas (mosaic, field, in/out of shower). I have removed all the grout around the field tile, but I am not going to attempt to remove grout around the mosaic tile. So, I am left with the mosaic band in the shower in the correct color, while the shower niche and mosaic band outside the shower are a different color. While I don't exactly mind the wrong (darker) grout color on the mosaic tile, the repairs I do to the shower niche and band will result in spots that do not match it. I'd like to avoid tearing out all the mosaic (that would be easier than removing grout from all the mosaic).

Is there an opaque grout sealant (membrane, not penetrating) that is rated for showers that I can use to color all the grout? From what I understand, most surface sealants (like Mapei's own Grout Refresh) are not to be used in wet areas. I came across Color Clad, but I am a DIYer, and the system (buying all the core colors, mixing myself) looks like a barrier for homeowners.

If this were your shower and you wanted it to last, what grout would you use? An epoxy? Sanded? Unsanded? And how is that texture going to blend next to the Ultracolor FA? I don't have a desire to use the FA again; from what I hear, it is very difficult to work with.

Thank you for your time.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2018, 11:30 PM   #53
Kman

Welcome back, Karen.

I moved your latest post over here with the original thread. Sometimes it helps to be able to see the history of a project when answering questions.

Is there any reason you couldn't use a grout colorant like this one?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:49 AM   #54
kktalker

Hi Kevin, thanks for the move, and sorry to have made more work for you.

My understanding is that most membrane grout sealers shouldn't be used in showers because water can get trapped behind them. I can't find any info about Aquamix being ok in wet areas, only that it shouldn't be used underwater (pools, etc.). What is your take on this?

I have also heard of Grout Perfect and Modern Stone. Any opinion on those?
Old 02-02-2018, 05:19 AM   #55
Kman

Don't know about those other two, but the one I linked to is fine for your application.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:46 AM   #56
Pirate

I used Aquamix in my shower to make the grout whiter, since I couldn't find a true white grout. It worked fine, but prepare for a lot of work doing it.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:08 AM   #57
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

You can certainly use Grout Refresh in a shower, this would be an ideal place for it. As for not using Ultracolor Plus FA, the grout didn't cause the issues on your first go-around. If you do decide to go another route, I'd suggest Flexcolor CQ. You can scratch glass with any grout if you try hard enough but Flexcolor has a round aggregate so typically you can use it with all of the tiles you had installed. If you get into a situation where you need to do a touchup or just a little bit on top, you can do that with Flexcolor as well, it sticks to itself. Although people will tell you to use epoxy, I'd stay away from it in your situation unless you contractor has done a lot of epoxy. It's not a 'we'll figure it out as we go' kind of product.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase