Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 01-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #1
siklife

Installing 3x6 glass tiles.

Hi guys, just wanted to ask for some tips on installing 3x6 glass tiles. The back of the tiles have a white backing, and the edges are see through. Whats the best way to install these to avoid any imperfections showing through the clear edges when looking up or down the wall after the grout is in. From my understanding, you just need to collapse the trowel ridges as you go. What else should i be doing / looking out for.
siklife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2018, 10:07 PM   #2
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

Use a high quality mortar designed for glass tile. Don't butt joint the glass. I would suggest a 1/8 grout joint. I would also make sure your surface is flat. Lighting can also affect how a glass tile installation will look.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

A good quality glass blade on your saw is a good start. Do a test on the material. Sometimes the backing, no matter how careful you are, flakes off. (Sign of really bad quality) I usually flip the tile white face up and lightly score it with the blade to get a crisp line. Then reverse and do the cut. You can also place some backerboard under the tile and set your saw blade to just go about 1/32" below the bottom of tile and cut. Either way gets you a good cut. I usually have some touch up appliance epoxy on hand just in case the white backing flakes.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Definitely flatten your trowel ridges and use a white mortar like our Adesilex P10. Typically for glass tiles we recommend an unsanded grout like our Keracolor U. Make sure not to put too much water in either product, the biggest cause of odd optical 'ghosts' in glass tile is from moisture. If they are going in an area where they may be in contact with water, seal the grout with Ultracare Grout Sealer.

For some extra bling, you can also try our new Flexcolor 3D grout that is translucent and designed especially for glass tiles.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase