Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
cai24

Gap Between Wall and Bathroom Vanity - Wondering if I Can Tile

I have a small office condo, and I have been trying to make some improvements. I am having an issue where the bathroom side wall is not square. As a result, the vanity is flush to the back wall, but there is a gap on the front left side. I thought that I could use a sidesplash, but the manufacturer only makes one with rounded corners. I was wondering if I could use some type of tile back/sidesplash, so that water does not get in there. At the largest point, there is almost a 1/4" gap. I thought that maybe I could tile the side and back wall, but I don't know if it would work...or if I would still be left with a gap. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. This is in a small office, so it doesn't have to be perfect. Although, I would like it to look nice.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
rmckee84

You could tile it if you want.
Another option would be to possibly remove the top and use a belt sander to sand the top where it is touching the wall removing enough material to allow the top to slide over closer to the wall. This really depends on how handy you are and what material the top is made from.
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
surgeon

Tiling the side and back is not a bad idea. Having had a small bath with sink like that, kids used to splash water a lot. It will be less of a mess with some protection. However this can still be an option after any other fixes you might consider as well.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
HooKooDoo Ku

My 1st thought would be to simply fill the gaps with white silicon.
That's what I did for the back splash in my bathroom to account for a less than perfectly flush tile job on my wall, but then my gaps were not quite as big.

However, the biggest negative I see to simply filling the gaps with white silicon is that does nothing to protect the drywall from water that rolls to the edge.

You could tile the area to hide the seem, but with the existing back-splash, that would see to require at least one corner cut on the last piece of tile in the corner on the left side. Depending upon how you arrange the tile, you would also have to either make a similar cut at the front of the vanity.

I would think the easiest approach if you lay tile is to place the 1st tile on the left wall flush with the front face of the vanity top and one joint width above the surface of the vanity. By including at least one row of tile on front and one row of tile below this 1st tile, you would keep the front gap hidden behind the tile as well. You'll likely want to fill the gap between the row of tile and the vanity surface with silicon rather than grout.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
workhurts

Not sure how tiling would change the gap as the file is just following the wall (unless you adjust the thickness of the thinset but then you'll just have a gap at the top of the tile but maybe you can hide that with some kind Schluter type profile).

The other easier thing might be to shove the sink and top up against that left wall and caulk both.

I honestly don't see tile looking good with a sink with that built in lip in the back.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:49 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by workhurts
Not sure how tiling would change the gap as the file is just following the wall...
Ali, the tile would be against the wall tight and visually hide the gap. Though you'd still have a 1/4" wide x 3/4" tall gap at the front corner of the top that would need to be caulked shut to look finished.

Welcome to the forum, Chris!
As long as you've got some countertop overhang on the right side of the cabinet:
The "proper" installation method, IMO, would have been to scribe the countertop to the irregular angle/contour of the adjacent left wall, then install a sidesplash and caulk all the joints between the top and sidesplash and between the sidesplash and backsplash to the wall. The joints where the top meets the painted wall should be latex caulk so that it does not interfere with painting the wall in the future. If you're ambitious and don't mind the plumbing work, you can use a carpenter's pencil or an old fashioned compass and pencil to transfer the angle/contour onto the countertop right now, then remove the top and belt sand the excess off like Ryan suggested. What you have is a cultured marble countertop and a belt sander with 60 or 80 grit will make short work of "sanding to the line".

But even if you do that, you've still got an unprotected left wall that looks unfinished. Chris, I know what you're saying about the sidesplash that you just looked into. Manufacturers used to make both a left-hand and a right-hand sidesplash. But some mass marketing manufacturers have cheaped out and switched to a "uni-sidesplash" (for lack of a better term) to fit either side. Most people don't seem to notice the extra rounded bottom corner where it meets the front corner of the countertop. But since I see every detail, I'm not a fan of them. But if you did intall this, it would look better than almost anything else you could do with tile. Even if you didn't bother scribing the existing top to the wall, this is still going to look cleaner than anything. That is, as long as you're ordering it from the same manufacturer as the top so the color matches.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #7
surgeon

After checking some pics of our old house, I had this problem with left wall and the cabinet itself. The usual off-white preformed vanity top. When I did tiles to get house ready for sale, I added 1/4 hardi and then added 4x4 tiles. 2 rows on the left wall (sidesplash) and continued the top row as backsplash. That looked leveled out. Capped the top with thin-cut slice of tile. It helped that I had my new husky tile saw. Then got color-matched to grout silicone caulk. That worked out for me. The gap was sealed and without extra work as I had to tile floor and hallway.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:44 AM   #8
cai24

Thanks for all of the input. I like the idea of sanding it, but I'm afraid to do it myself. I love DIY projects, but I have no experience with this type of repair. Is there a way to buy a sink that's fabricated to the angle I need, or could I pay someone to sand it for me? I don't even care if I have to order a whole new sink.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
HooKooDoo Ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by cia24
I like the idea of sanding it, but I'm afraid to do it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cia24
I don't even care if I have to order a whole new sink.
So if you don't mind spending money on another sink... why not try sanding this one.

Thinking along those lines, what sounds like a really good idea is to sand the edge of the sink to match the contour of the wall... then hide the seam with white silicon... which will also hide the rough sanded edge.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Dol you still object to purchasing a side splash? That will cost ~$25, it will cover the entire crack (less the front most 1/4” x 3/4”), and not require removing or sanding the top. Just some caulking and we can talk you through using latex caulk pretty easily.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #11
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The sidesplash is probably about 3/4-1" thick, so would easily hide that gap, and fairly easy to fill in the front gap with caulk. Some foam backer rod in the gap first will make it easier and not require as much caulk.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase