Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-03-2018, 05:28 AM   #1
mgordo98

Newbie considering tiling laundry and mud rooms

I'm considering tiling my laundry and mud rooms. The floor was previously covered by 2 layers of linoleum which I've already removed (not a fun job). I'm fairly handy but I've never laid tile before so I'm a little nervous and would appreciate opinions to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before taking the plunge.

Here's my situation:

- 2x12 joists, 24" on center, 14 ft span.

- Deflectolator says ok for ceramic tile (L / 389) but not for stone.

- Subfloor is 2x6 tongue and groove laid perpendicular to joists.

- On top of subfloor is 1/2" plywood nailed down. It seems to be in good condition and fairly well attached to the subfloor. One section has 1/2" particle board which I plan on removing and replacing with C-grade or better exterior plywood and screwing down with 1 3/4" deck screws.

- I plan on using Ditra for the uncoupling layer.

- Haven't decided on a tile yet but I'd like to use a larger tile...12"-16" maybe.

My initial questions:

1) Does this sound reasonable? Have I forgotten anything?

2) Are there any other tests I should run to make sure the floor is stable enough for tile?

3) Anything extra I need to consider since a fairly heavy washing machine will be on part of the floor?

Thanks for any input!
Old 01-03-2018, 07:03 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
If it were mine, Matt, I'd be screwing down all those 2X's first. I'd then go over those with 3/4 exterior B grade ply, screwed to the 2X's. Cover with your choice of uncoupling and tile.

When I did our laundry room I started with 2X10's, 16OC, maybe a 10' span. Original 5/8" subfloor which I screwed down, covered with 3/4" B Ex ply - also screwed down, and then inexpensive HD inkjet 12X12 tile. No uncoupling. Conventional sanded grout.

Even with the front loader throwing unbalanced hissy fits noting has moved or cracked in over 2 years. More impressive to me is how screwing down the two layers of ply really tightened up the whole assembly. The washer used to vibrate things in the adjacent room, but not anymore. Ever.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:10 AM   #3
mgordo98

Thanks for the reply, Dan. The 2X's are already nailed down to the joists (through the tongue) but I'll consider screwing them down as well.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
No prob, happy to help. Have fun. Doing mine was actually fun and almost stressless, as I just kept repeating to myself "it's only a laundry room, it's only a laundry room".
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase