Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-02-2018, 07:54 AM   #31
BruceL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmckee84
The mapei ultracolor FA can be used in joints that small without issues.
Ryan, thanks for the advice on the ultracolor FA. Decided that was definitely the right way to go, and since the floor is different tile anyway, we picked a slightly lighter color to go with it. I think I'm glad I didn't use something this fast setting for the rest of the job, but was able to focus on my timing to do the shower pan. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Grouting later this week....

Bruce
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #32
rmckee84

Looking good.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #33
BruceL

Thank you

Just wanted to post to say thanks so much for all the help. Honestly this thread isn't that long. Mostly because I spent a lot of time reading other threads and there is just so much information to soak up just reading the discussions. For example last week I was trying to figure out the right way to anchor the clip for the glass panel into my pony wall without penetrating the kerdi. Came to the forums intending to ask the question and found a discussion on the first page about using epoxy to anchor hinges into curbs. So never needed to ask my question....

The nice folks at frameless shower doors worked with me on getting the glass door and panel designed and avoiding anchors in the curb and all but one in the pony wall. Those are some pretty massive hinges, but since I had known I needed to have wood backing for hinges, they worked fine. The pole anchor in the ceiling helped avoid the use of a header across the 7' wall, which allowed us to use wall hinges instead of header/curb hinges. With that plus the epoxy on the bottom, I don't think the glass is going anywhere. I was never more nervous during this job than when my father-in-law and I were carrying that massive glass around.

The bathroom is finished now, and thinking about it afterward.

I figured this job would be roughly equivalent to a kitchen remodel. This was at least twice the work of my kitchen remodel. Took an amazing amount of time.

I wish I had bought a better tile saw when beginning it.

12x24 tiles are really challenging to work with. I had read that before starting, but it's not until you do it that you really understand. I have all the respect in the world for pros who can get such big tiles perfectly flat. I got a lot better at laying them over time, but would take a lot longer to actually get good at it.

I used a Rubi tile leveling system and while it helped, there is still some lippage in places I used it. I would try something else next time, though I suspect experience would help more.

I used kerdi board for the walls. While the walls went up fast, I found doing all of the kerdi band and dealing with build-up in the corners quite time consuming. Doing it again I would probably use a liquid membrane.

With all that said, I'm really thrilled with how it came out.

Thanks again for all the help. I learned a lot and will be back when I have another project. And probably occasionally just to read and learn.

Bruce
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #34
worldknown

hey bruce, looking great sir!
Old 02-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #35
rmckee84

Enjoy it, looks good. I agree with the kerdi band and patches causing build up. I've switched to laticrete hydroban board, and use their sealant for seams and penetrations on the walls but still use fabric over my pans.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase