Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-31-2017, 06:18 PM   #1
Chele

Tile layout question.. Which way is best?

2' Tile in shower. If centered leaves a small piece near a corner triangle bench, but I'm not crazy about the tile not being centered. Which way do you think looks better? A or B?

Also, C or D? (D will be a lot easier to cut)

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
rmckee84

Add to the bench and center the tile?
Not sure what I'm looking at in c and d.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
Chele

I've made the triangle bench as big as I can, and still have only one tile on the front of it. If I made it any bigger, I'd have to use two tiles on the front of the bench, which I don't want to do. But good idea.

C and D are two different tile layout options for the wall that contains the shower head. The "black" area is a tall niche for shelves.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
rmckee84

I dont know what the width is but if it were me I'd widen the niche' all the way to the corner.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:55 PM   #5
Chele

Can't go all the way to the wall. There is a 2x4 there that supports the wall. I made the niche as big as I could giving the framing and the rooms behind that wall. And besides, it has all been "schutered" up and ready for tile. Too late for those kind of changes now!
Old 12-31-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If I'm using it, I have to consider bullnose in the layout. I see the curb at the bottom, makes me wonder if the row up the right side has a bullnose or not. If so, what size are your BN?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:27 PM   #7
Chele

Bullnose is not a factor. All exposed edges of tile, whether full or cut will be trimmed with schluter jolly trim, so all pieces will be either full or cut tiles. There will be no bullnose
Old 12-31-2017, 10:33 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Just my opinion but if A and B are the two options for the back wall, I would center the layout. Then use C for the end wall.

Another way to center the back wall is to center a grout joint in the middle instead of a full tile.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 01-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #9
Chele

Smile

Yes the three choices for the back, short wall, are start with full tile at curb and window, center tile either full tile in middle or cut tiles on both side. I am leaning towards the first because (and you can tell me if it's not good logic), one, I want full tiles whenever possible to make walls look as much as possible like one big continuous tile (that's the point of using big tile after all). I want to minimize (or eliminate) having a cut edge exposed (that is covered with the Shluter trim). I prefer to have all outside edges factory edge so no chipping, perfectly straight, etc. Full tile in middle leaves two smaller pieces on each side with cut edge exposed. Seam down the middle leaves cut edges on outside and doesn't use a full tile.

Also, by these criteria, I should pick C for my original question, but that would leave two really hard "horseshoe" cuts at the top and bottom of the niche. So I can't make up my mind about that wall yet, either.

For me, making decisions about the tile and layout has been a lot harder than the actual tile work itself.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If you're wanting full factory edges at the outside for the Schluter, which is what I would do, then do it that way. The cut at the niche will be more difficult but not impossible to make. The back wall can be done any way you want, you'll still have cuts on each side regardless.

Just a reminder, when laying out a tile wall, your rows will be level of course. So, up the edges will also be plumb. I would put a level up the edge of the wall above the curb and hope it's plumb (both sides). With large tiles that have very few joints, you have no wiggle room.

Yes, the brain work is the difficult part. The tile work isn't that bad, we can train monkeys to spread thinset on tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 01-01-2018, 02:44 PM   #11
Chele

Yes, thank God for lasers for plumb and level!

I also, bought a glass blade so while the cuts are very slow, they are completely chip free, so if I have to have a cut against the Schluter, it won't be the end of the world. Still haven't decided about the short wall with the faucet. Either way I will have a cut against a trim piece, either on the outside wall or on the side of the niche. I'm probably overthinking it, like I always do.

So far all I've had the guts to do is the curb (I've never done this before). It's in the 20's in Atlanta, so I'm waiting till it gets warmer, as my tile cutter is setup on the back deck. A good excuse to procrastinate anyhow.

Thanks for the help
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #12
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would mirror the two end walls, starting with full tiles at the Schluter trim. Are you tiling the ceiling above the shower?

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 01-02-2018, 04:41 AM   #13
Chele

No, I wasn't planning on doing that. Was just going to take the tiles to the top of the ceiling on the walls. I did, however, Schluter the ceiling/walls joints in case I ever wanted to convert it to a steam shower later on. But for right now, I'll be doing good just to get the walls and floor done.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase