Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 12-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #2746
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John bridge
I have learned something here, and it's wasted on me. I'm no longer in the mud slinging business
but all the knowledge you and all the other folks spread helps young pups like me get a better understanding so one day I can be a mud slinger. I hate doing showers over backer board. When it get warm again I am going to build a mock up in my shop so i can practice. I have seen it mentioned here more than once that when you are good and proficient that you can mud a shower just as fast as they guy using backer board with all things considered plumbing/squaring/getting every thing pool table flat and trurly end up with a better result. That's my goal . Thanks to all for the tips and tricks
Old 12-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #2747
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Shawn, it's good to see others wanting to learn more about mud work.
Even if you don't mud all your showers, it's good to have the knowledge. You never know when you might need to flatten a fireplace wall, get a shower jamb plumb, etc.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #2748
smifwal

Davy It had helped a bunch just understanding the concept of screed sticks and the process as a whole. I got a handle on mudding a floor. But I don't get to do them as often as I like because of the height required if I could mud every floor I would be in hog heaven. I did one a 90sqft for my uncle we tore out a old mud bed that had some cracks in and my uncle wanted build it back up with plywood and backer board. And I was like why ?that will take to long lets just throw another mud bed back down. We had a back and forth and he agreed I was probably right. The cabinet guy told him well I don't get ones like this very often. My uncle said why what's wrong he said nothing I didn't even have to use any shims. Needless to say my uncle was pretty impressed and I felt like a rockstar.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:31 PM   #2749
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

" I don't get ones like this very often." I hear that from the shower door guy. Nothing special, I just made the jambs plumb.

Yeah, we mud very few floors these days compared to years ago. Of course years ago the builders would drop the floors for the tile man to float to the needed height. These days, seems like the only time I mud a floor is when someone encloses a porch or turns a garage into a bedroom.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #2750
Just In Tile LLC

Shawn I only install tubs or showers with mud work, it's the only option I provide at the moment and it has proven itself time and time again on remodeling work.

I'd like to learn about wedi board to have a system like that under my belt as well, but when you gear yourself towards mud work it pretty much covers all the situations you encounter without buying anything different.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #2751
Just In Tile LLC

Recessing lath with the nails works great.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase