Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
ChimpanX

Repair crack/chip in acrylic shower pan?

I recently discovered a chip/dent connected to a hairline crack in an installed acrylic shower pan (see the attached pics). The hairline seems to be on the surface and not have any depth. The chip/dent is about 1/16" deep.

Obviously, I'm NOT happy about this. I've heard that there's some paste or something that can be used to repair this type of damage.

Anyone have any thoughts or relevant recommendations on the best way to repair this?
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
Kman

Where is it on the receptor? If it's in an area that gets a lot of stress, it probably won't hold for long.

There are repair kits out there, you can probably get one at the big box stores or on Amazon. How well they work and match the color is probably a crap shoot.

There is probably someone in your area that will do it for a couple of bills. Of course, the quality of that repair depends on the person doing it.

I might be tempted to try the home repair kit first, and if it doesn't work, hire a pro.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
ChimpanX

The damage is about 8 inches from the drain. If the shower head is at 12 o clock, the damage is at 10 o clock.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
ZZZK

That doesn't look like a stress crack to me at all. It looks to me like something hard and heavy was dropped like a tool creating the gouge. There are lots of acrylic tub repair kits you can order online for a few bucks. That's a pretty small spot and even a somewhat sloppy repair will be quite unnoticeable. Just try to be as neat and clean as possible.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #5
ChimpanX

Yes, I'm certain it's NOT a stress-related injury but comes from something heavy falling on the pan.

Are the acrylic repairs reliable long-term (5-10 years) or are they more of a temporary band-aid (0-2 years)?
Old 12-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd say it depends on your pan. I have seen acrylic pans that were thin and flexible and some that were thick that had no flex at all. I'd say any flex would be bad and could cause the patch to pop loose after a while. A patch in a pan that has no flex could be a permanent fix if done correctly.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM   #7
thuffner3

Use your two thumbs and apply pressure to both sides crack if theres movement
then you have a thru crack.
If this is the case purchase a can of urethane expansion foam.
Can you access the underside of the shower?
If so you can drill a hole under the crack and spray the foam into the area this will provide support and should seal the underside.
If not worst case, drill a hole in the pan. The foam should seal it and make it solid. And your fiberglas repair kit should make it water tight.
As far as repair kits there are many, Amazon has several. just follow the manufatures direstions. you can order and ivory and a white and blend to acheive a close match.
If your good with a polisher and various grit papers you can get an almost invisible blend.
The foam is only a temp fix though as you really have no way of knowing if its sealed for quite some time.

I have done this to two shower pans with good results.

JM2CW
Neil

Her contractor said she could have it installed today.
thuffner3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase