Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
jacks

Need some layout input/advice

Originally this was supposed to be a 12x24 plank floor. But it was clear that it just wasn't going to work once we got it home and laid it out. So the only thing I could find that I could live with was this 18x18.

I have never had a problem figuring out my layout before and have never had a "sliver" problem. This one there is no place to line up from that I don't have some sort of piece that is shorter than I want.

The center one is probably the best for lack of "slivers" but if I got with that, the only place in the entire room that has a full sheet of tile is right down the middle. So I tried a shift to both the left and right. i think I short of like the one where the smaller piece is under the vanity instead of in front of the tub, but i have been looking at this so long now I don't think I know which way to go!

I DO know that I don't want to do a checker board pattern. I will be using a dark grout and I think that will help blend in some of these problems, I just don't know which problem I want to have. Any input appreciated!
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
MisterJJ

Have you considered a 45 pattern?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
john619

I think the 45* pattern could be a winner!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
jacks

Yeah, I considered it. But I didn't really like the look of it so I didn't include it in my pictures. I think I am also afraid that I might get it skewed and it wouldn't come out right.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #5
jacks

So I played with that again and nope, there are just way too many slivers to do a 45. Stumped.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:26 AM   #6
HooKooDoo Ku

If you can't do a 45, it looks like the single whole tile down the center with decent size cuts on either side would work out better than two full tiles with lots of slivers.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #7
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Center the room with a chalk line. Find the center of the tile and mark it. Put the center of the tile on the chalk line. Looks like it would be decent size cuts to the walls. Kinda like the first pic.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #8
Just In Tile LLC

What Craig said, on all your pictures the centered one looks the most aesthetically pleasing.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #9
jacks

Thanks guys, that is pretty much the same conclusion I came to, it needs to be the centered one. Otherwise it will always look off kilter. It sure helps to get the input on it though, to know I am doing the right thing. Much appreciated!!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase