Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 12-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
Bied10

crack fill under LVT

HI all. I know this isn't ceramic, but you all have never steered me wrong on any flooring advice.

I am going to lay glue down LVT over concrete (12 years old). I need to fill the expansion joints with something. I have thought about Silka because the cracks would still be able to expand and contract but "everyone" says to use a concrete patch. If I used concrete patch, the cracks will no longer work like they are supposed to.

My one big concern is if I use Silka (or something else that is flexible) will the LVT crack when a chair rolls over it or high heels (because you know how often people wear high heels in your basement).

Just looking for some advice from guys I trust. Thanks, Mike

mabiedenharn@gmail.com

I won't do a half ass job. Let me study it a bit so I can do a whole ass job instead.
Bied10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2017, 01:53 AM   #2
Kman

How wide are the joints? Is it conceivable that something could rest on that crack and sink in?

Technically, you should use a solid material, like a cement-based compound to fill that joint, or leave it open and use a manufactured joint on top. Of course, if this is in the middle of a room, nobody wants that.

I would consult the guys over at The Floor Pro about this. There are several vinyl/linoleum installer's there that do thousands of feet every month. Tell them I sent you.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
Bied10

The joints are about 3/4" wide and about 1/2" deep. Each has a crack at the bottom (as designed).

There is a good chance of a chair rolling over them in one room, that is what I am worried about. All the recommendations are for a latex fortified cement fill, but that makes the cracks not work as designed.

I will ask your guys and tell them you sent me. Thanks.

(I will let you know what they said )

Mike

I won't do a half ass job. Let me study it a bit so I can do a whole ass job instead.
Bied10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I need to fill the expansion joints with something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
The joints are about 3/4" wide and about 1/2" deep. Each has a crack at the bottom (as designed).
Mike, what you're describing sounds more like a control joint, rather than an expansion joint, although I can't imagine what they were thinking in making it 3/4" wide and only 1/2" deep. A control joint's depth is usually a minimum of 1/4 the thickness of the SOG and no wider than a saw cut or grooving tool width.

I've not had any vinyl installed for years, but as I recall we just filled control joints with a Portland cement patching material and tiled over them.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase