Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
eartha5

bunch-up/build-up of kerdi band in places

Hi folks,

I am waterproofing and tiling a shower with Shluter materials for the first time and everything has gone swimmingly, except for a few corners around the custom curb that I've made out of kerdi-board.

At one spot, I had to fold a schluter outer corner up in a way where I ended up having three layers of the band material tightly folded up together. So with thinset in there, even with extreme care trying to flatten that mess out, I still have probably 3/16 difference in the outside of that folded and set material and the kerdi-board behind it.

I am wondering if this is going to be a problem to deal with when I put down the tile. I am using 12x24 tiles and a 1/2 in notch trowel, so I suspect I'll have at least about 1/4 inch of mortar underneath the tiles. So theoretically my 3/16 inch 'bump' of kerdiband will get absorbed within that bed of thinset, right?

It feels like it won't be an issue, but considering how much care you try to take in getting everything flat before tiling, I am a little worried about it.

Anyone have advice? I can't really do the corner any other way that I can think of where Shluter's specs with regard to overlap of the band would be met, and ensure a water tight pan.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Vic....With that size tile, I would think that you should be able to build out the tiles to where they would blend well. Much has to do with how plumb the walls are. If they're a bit "out," that might work to your advantage.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
t2jeff

I worried about the same thing when doing my kerdi shower this summer. Had a few spots with 3 layers in the corners. Didn't effect the tile at all.

I also constructed my own curb out of kerdiboard.....
Good luck!
Old 12-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Vic.

Your 1/2" notched trowel will collapse down to juuuuuuust a bit under 3/16". Knowing this, you'll have a better grip on making tiny adjustments to the mortar for the built up corners. Since you're already aware of the build-up, part of your battle is already won.

And as a method of dealing with this....If you're willing to wait for the mortar to dry, you could run a skim coat ahead of time to flatten the area out. It would make obtaining 100% mortar coverage under your tiles a bit easier.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
eartha5

thanks for the feedback

Appreciate you all chiming in. I will plan to just work around this spot with mortar to get everything pretty even. I am using a tile leveling system, so based on your comments here, I think I'll be in good shape.

I filled the shower and lost no observable water overnight, peaked in a hole in the drywall underneath the shower and saw no moist wood anywhere, so feeling pretty good about it all.

Gotta say it was a little trickier than i imagined to work with the kerdi-band. But from what I understand I still saved a lot of work over hardie-board. Just gotta band the joints and edges of the field of ditra-heat in the room, and I'll be getting tile down.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Sounds like you're on your way, Vic.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase