Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-04-2017, 11:09 PM   #1
jemhunter

Tiling Stairs

Hello all,

I have carpeted stairs and itís quite beat up now. I want to replace with wood, but unfortunately it is not that easy. It has some steps w/ curved shape which require custom made stair treads. I am not comfortable doing it myself, but the quote received is very high that I cannot afford neither.

Then I am thinking of tiling it instead. I have done few tiling projects before and quite comfortable with the process but have few questions.

1) After removing the carpet, how do we prepare the substrate? Hardi backer on the treads and risers?
2) You can see in the picture the risers are curved, then what can I attach to the stairs? Metal lath w/ concrete float?
3) Can we put a bullnose? Would stepping on it has any chance of detaching and then breaking it

Thanks all.

Name:  1.png
Views: 7
Size:  410.7 KB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jgleason; 12-10-2017 at 07:56 AM.
jemhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2017, 11:31 PM   #2
clifton clowers

What's under the carpet? If it is plywood or similar, could you remove it and use it as a template with a patterning router bit to reproduce the curves in hardwood?
Old 12-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jim,

Can you pull back the carpet to determine what type of wood is under it: plywood or planks? Tiling the curved treads is going to require quite a bit of skill.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
jemhunter

@clifton, that could work, but i suspect the current treads are not cut precisely flush to the walls for easy fitting since any gap would be cover ed by the carpet.

@john, i will take a look under the carpet. would the preparations change depending on the kind of wood? cutting the curve is definitely challenging whether with wood or tile. i just have more experience and tools for tile.

Here is a picture of my bathtub with a curved border. I made templates with cardboard and traced on the tile and cut slowly. It did take time and i had to cut some pieces several times.

Name:  1.png
Views: 6
Size:  390.3 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jgleason; 12-10-2017 at 07:57 AM.
jemhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
HooKooDoo Ku

Just a DIYer here... and I can't say I've seen much discussion about it here in the forum.

And a little knowledge and a little googling says there might be several things you might need to consider before you decide to change over to tile.

Two things come to mind.
1. Building codes have a lot to say about stair cases... especially on how consistent the treat heights must be, and the details of bull nose (such as min/max amount of bull nose overhang and how tight the corner must be).
2. Came across at least one reference that suggested a wooden stair case likely hasn't been designed with the dead weight of tile in mind and might need reinforcing.

Here's a few links I found discussing these two ideas.
https://www.tileoutlets.com/tutorial...ile-on-stairs/
https://www.doityourself.com/stry/la...ou-should-know
Old 12-05-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
jemhunter

Tiling Stairs

thanks for the links Ku. all good points
Old 12-05-2017, 09:00 PM   #7
jemhunter

the weight of tiles and hardibacker shouldn't be an issue. the stairs contractor says it it fine to put a 1" thick stair tread on top. that piece of wood must be as heavy as the the tiles and hardi.

can other weight in on tiling aspect? i would not use a glossy slippery tile. will find something with texture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Jim, until you tell us how your stairs are constructed, we can't really give you any real idea what you'd need to do to make them ready to tile.

Your "stairs contractor" is probably right that you could add a 1" thick, pre-made stair tread on what you have, but that has nothing at all to do with whether the stairs are suitable for tile. The wooden tread would be structural in nature and probably self-supporting on the stair structure. The same is not true of either your tiling substrate or tile.

With either tread addition, though, you have the consideration of riser height, which is commonly the fatal drawback in changing the tread covering on a stairway. You need to know what you've got before you can decide what you can/cannot do in that regard.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #9
jemhunter

Thank you cx. I will update the thread once I remove the carpet.

I was hoping to gather as much info as possible before starting the work because I have to do this project quick given that is the only way to our second floor bedrooms.

For example regardless of the stairs structure, how do I tile on a curved wooden stairs riser? How to get solid bullnose on the stair edges?

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2017, 12:17 PM   #10
HooKooDoo Ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
With either tread addition, though, you have the consideration of riser height, which is commonly the fatal drawback in changing the tread covering on a stairway.
I believe CX is referring to the typical building code that requires risers be a uniform height to within 0.375".

I assume you would only be adding tile to the stairs and not the bottom landing. If so, the combination of a CBU substrait, thin-set, and then tile likely takes you beyond the 0.375" uniformity between the 1st step and all the rest of the steps.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #11
jemhunter

You are right Joseph. Since I will be adding on top of the current tread, the riser between the first floor to the first step would be higher than the other risers. The riser from the last step to the second floor would be shorter than other steps.

I read the building code requiring risers to not exceed 7 3/4" in height and and the shortest to the tallest riser should not exceed 3/8". I am not sure how to solve this even if I use a wood floor. Even using a wood retro fit tread, it would still add 1/2".

Given the curved step shape I have at the bottom of the stairs, I can't use the retro kit and would have to go w/ full custom cut to shape treads.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase