Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
Fishtacos4

Recently remodel problems TEK grout falling out

Tried adding a link to an album with photos but it wouldn't let me because I'm new to the forum.

Looking for some advice of a recently completed bathroom remodel. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Some of the concerns I have are
1) The grout, which is falling out and does not seem as if it is packed into the joints. The grout can be rubbed out with bare hanf. Floor grout is deep from surface of tile.
2) The 2' level in the photo has a 1/4" allen under one end and is sitting level.
3) The tile or wall on the left hand side is not even.
4) The seams where the floor meets the wall are inconsistent.
5) The wall tiles have lips that are greater than the thickness of two quarters in some areas.
6) Some sheets of floor tiles are butted right up against each other with no room for grout and the spacing is inconsistent overall.
7) Floor tiles are uneven
8) There is an area on the floor that water pools
Attached Images

Last edited by Fishtacos4; 12-06-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Fishtacos4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Tom,

Welcome to the forum.

1- Can you add your location to your User CP? That will help us recommend materials and methods.

2- Can you number your questions? It saves on scrolling

3- Grout falling out comes from 1- adding too much water during mixing, 2- using too much water during clean up, 3- Not pressing enough grout into the joints. My guess; all 3.

4- The bare minimum as required by the plumbing code in most jurisdictions is 1/4 inch per foot for ALL horizontal surfaces. Red flag #2

5- The installer apparently didn't read the instructions that came when setting that tile. The manufacturer usually requires no more than a 1/3 offset to help minimize the lippage. Did he mention the lippage before setting?

6- Red flag #4

7- See #5

8- This excess lippage doesn't meet the standards of ANSI nor the TCNA manual. Red flag #6

9- See #4

With 6 glaring problems it begs the more important question; how was the waterproofing in this shower achieved? Do you have any "during" construction pictures? Can you take a picture of the cross section of the wall at the shower valve?
Attached Images

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #3
rmckee84

Judging from the drain this was a traditional receptor with a preslope, liner, and top mud bed?

How were the was prepped, how were they waterproofed?

Hard to see the grout falling out, but that would point to improper mixing or possibly too small grout line for that particular grout and it was packed in the joint very well like you suggest.

Your floor should have 1/4" per foot fall towards the drain.

Your floor to wall transition should be relatively consistent. Is that joint sealed with 100% or was it grouted?

Mosaic spacing on the sheets gets worse and worse every day because of poor quality control but it is starting to look like poor craftsmanship may be the reasoning.

Light obviously highlights the imperfection but the floor and walls look pretty terrible. As far as the walls go its tough to say how feasible a lip free install would be with those tiles set in that pattern. It depends on how flat they are.

Who did this work? Tile guy or handyman? Have you paid in full? This is pretty poor work but the biggest issue would be the pooling water.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
Fishtacos4

Hi thanks for the feedback.
The work was done by a tile contractor my GC hired to do the job.
The floor was waterproofed using fiberglass Matt.
The walls had cement board on them.
The grout can be wiped out of the joints with bare hand. TEK said the installer did not work fast enough and remixed the grout after it had started to cure in the bucket. There are large areas where the grout is gone on the walls.
The tile guy asked if I wanted the tile installed offset or with the seams aligned. I said offset but he never mentioned anything about the lipping.
I have not finalized payment on the job yet.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #5
rmckee84

Withhold remaining funds...
I'm not familiar with using fiberglass mat for a pan so I cant speak to that.
Was a surface applied waterproofing used over the CBU? Like a fabric membrane like kerdi, or a paint on like red guard? If not was there a moisture barrier installed over the studs before the CBU was installed? Were all the seams and corners taped with mesh?
Do you have any pics of the construction phase of the shower?

Last edited by rmckee84; 12-06-2017 at 08:44 PM.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #6
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

The walls need something more than cement board on them. Cement board isn't waterproof, even if you add tile and grout and sealer.

We need more info.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
Simplyjames

The tile itself in that pic looks to have some drastic crowning or may be just be the shadowing? I'd be curious to see two extra tiles placed face to face. This will clearly show the degree of crowning. Lippage definitely looks and seems excessive regardless. If the tiles are crowned that bad out of the box, a staggered install was a bad plan even if it were third offset. I've done some tiles that were intentionally warped and crowned as part of its design.
It's probably beneficial at this point to see what the manufacturer recommends regarding layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACT certified installer #015
californiaflooringltd.com
Simplyjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase