Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
ShawnD

Pulling crown ring out

Advice please! Here is the scoop, with questions below. Thank you for your help, in advance.

1 year old tile shower with 1 year old plumbing from shower drain all the way to the sewer. Both installed by pros.

The Oatey ring the grate sits in has been rusting for about nine months. (Arg!) I have tried many things to deal with the rust without messing up the tile. It is getting harder and harder to clean the rust off so my very able husband and I have added it to the project list.

We can call the tiler and have her do the work but that's not a great option because she has not dealt with this before.

The ring is grouted in. However, you may be able to see there are places where rust is in a gap between the ring and the grout. I wonder if this means it is looser in those places?

Please note the grate itself just sits on there. It's a replacement I got months ago.

Questions about our plan, much of which I will try to do myself:

I/we will try to pry/pull the ring off. Any tips on that? (Besides don't pull in such a way that I fall into and break the expensive glass enclosure.)

We may have to chip around the ring to get it off. Any tips on that to preserve as much grout as possible? (I know to be careful, so we don't mess with liner, etc.)

We have replacement tiles, if needed. The bigger issue is grout. We used epoxy. Buying $60 worth to grout in the new ring seems crazy. The tile shop, which has given me the correct grout color, suggested using regular grout. Any problems you see with that?

Preventing rust: Before we replace the ring, I think we should carefully clean the cast iron drain, and then put sealer stuff on the rim. I forget what these items are called but the old guys at the hardware store pointed me to them. Good idea?

Getting a better ring: Where can I buy a truly high-quality stainless ring so we don't have to mess with this again?

The current crown-ring/grate came with the shower drain. A replacement purchased from a local plumbing place (so I know the drain and part size) is Oatey #42011. Says it is 3 1/4 - which must refer to the grate, not the ring. What size would I order?

Feedback please on wilder ideas:

I wonder about using a square grate. We'd have to chip out tile and replace it. But because the drain actually sits flush to the shower floor, there's no way to do this anyway, right?

Are these rings prone to rusting anyway? If so, is there a way to have a replaceable round grate without the ring?

Thanks for your input!
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

that there looks like it was a prefect candidate for a square drain frame

Travis, that is a very good idea!
Old 12-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
ShawnD

Not my call, Travis

The decision was not up to me and to put a square drain in now would require an entire tear-out of the drain.

Got anything helpful to add?
Old 12-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
rmckee84

Can you pull the grate and take another pic?
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
ShawnD

drain

Here it is without the grate.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

They make a square crown that would fit with little cutting. It would also keep the rust an inch away from the grout.

Last edited by Shady at Best; 12-11-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
ShawnD

That replacement won't fit

Not such a great idea, Travis Reviews on Amazon already show these don't fit Oatey drains.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #8
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

They make them that fit. That was there for reference

Old 12-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
ShawnD

Over and out

For anyone who runs into this issue:

Travis, no those are not made in any size that will actually fit on top of this Oatey drain. They are supposed to fit...but do not.

At this point I am going to:

Clean the rust-stained grout with CLR.

Take the tiniest chisel I can find and get that ring out. I'll clean the cast iron off and carefully apply rust converter (the kind you can brush on, not the kind that's in a spray can).

Wish me luck.

I have ordered a custom drain cover from a very nice person who says it will fit over the drain top and extend out. I will add a photo and a plug if it fits.

I will fix grout as needed using regular sanded grout.

Ryan, looks like you were about to try to help. Thank you.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #10
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
tile lackey

Hi Shawn,

I don't know how helpful this is but it looks like you have tile-over-tile with a drain extension. Here's a link to those types of drain extensions that you have there.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Extend-O-Drain/N-5yc1vZ4nf

I'm not aware of a better quality drain piece for that but it sounds like you've found one. Please feel free to report back with an update.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase