Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
renue74

Stacked Bond - Need a leveling system?

I'm a DIY'er and learned a lot here.

I purchased 13x24 ceramic tile for a shower wall. (I did the Durock Shower System install this past weekend.)

A Best Tile "Wavy" white tile.

We are planning to install them in a simple stacked bond pattern....so ideally there should be no lippage.

I don't need a tile leveling system for these? I can just use spacers right? Or should I use a leveling system.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 12-04-2017, 03:10 PM   #2
BruceL

As a DIYer, I would say I need a leveling system for that size tile. Doesn't matter what pattern.

Bruce
Old 12-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Kevin.

Bruce is correct. The pattern isn't the deciding factor, although what you're planning is probably easier to level than a 50% offset would be.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:11 PM   #4
renue74

Thanks! I bought the Raimondi leveling system today. I'll tackle this project in a couple weeks.

I'm still working on a subway tile install in a smaller bathroom. Great tutorial info here about that.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
JerseyDIYguy

I did something very similar with my main bathroom, although I used a running bond in stead of stacked. The tiles were designed for a stacked bond but my wife and I preferred the running pattern so you might at least try a dry layout running bond with your tiles.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ritique&page=4

I didn't use a leveling system and still got great results with almost no lippage. The key to success was that I did extensive shimming, furring, and checking of the studs before I installed the backerboard. It took lots of time and repeated adjustments to get the studs aligned plumb and very, very flat (and BTW, the corner of the room over the tub is still not a 90 degree angle - I just had to live with the cards I was dealt with a 90 year old house).

During tile installation I did find that the tiles were very sensitive to the few spots where the backerboard wasn't extremely flat. It occasionally took some clever adjusting of the thinset spread to compensate and get things back to flat, which I suppose is part what your leveling system will accomplish.

Last edited by JerseyDIYguy; 12-05-2017 at 08:19 AM.
JerseyDIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #6
renue74

Looks great. Yeah, the house we are rehabbing is an 83 year old craftsman bungalow. We added a 10x28 addition on the back of it that includes the master bath.

The Best Tile Wavy tile definitely is not fitting with the craftsman theme...but we liked it and we are going to use some printed concrete tile for the floor (that is more craftsman like).

I thought about adding a couple 4" can lights into the shower to highlight the wavy. We'll see if I get extra antsy to do that.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase