Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-30-2017, 08:26 PM   #16
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

From what you are showing in the pics the pan isn't pitched correctly. I pitch my pans so that where the shower pan meets the wall tile is level all the way around and then pitches towards the drain. I am sure the other pros will agree.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:19 PM   #17
Kman

Using a level is a good method for finding the bad spots, but frankly, if there's standing water, that's all you need to see.

At any point on the shower floor, water should run to the drain.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #18
mark999

Shawn

What is the statis with pay with this builder? Are you retaining any monies or have you paid in full? Your answer will determine what I think you should tell your incompetent GC/ builder.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:47 AM   #19
ShawnD724

We are paid in full. We closed January 27, 2017.

I did have a chance to pick up a 1 ft and 2 ft level. The 1 ft level shows 1/8" slope. The 2 ft level I used around the perimeter along the shower door side. There is definitely a dip.

We have a meeting with the builder tonight. I am not sure if I can change their mind since they said their flooring person said the shower floor is fine. They have taken their word and said it meets their standards.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-04-2017, 11:15 AM   #20
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
They have taken their word and said it meets their standards.
The problem with that is "they" are not the ceramic tile industry nor the building code compliance industry. They standard "they" are using matters not a whit to anyone other than themselves in this case.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #21
Kman

My question would be, "How much water should the shower hold?". There's really no excuse for it to do that.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #22
mark999

Does the (new) house come with some kind of warranty like 1 year?

There are oats and there are oats that have gone thru the horse. I believe you have gotten the latter type.

They basicly owe you a new shower. Lack of waterproofing, bad stall floor, terrible looking niche,etc.

I wish you luck
Old 12-04-2017, 10:59 PM   #23
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Whether directly stated in your contract or not, your builder owes you a house built to contemporary construction standards, not his own. All contracts must adhere to precedent, the UCC, local and state laws.

He cannot show you where what he has done is written down as an approved industry standard.

When it comes to court, the manufacturer's instructions reign supreme. Often you will see tile related products include the line "Must be installed in accordance to the 2017 TCNA guidelines" or similar. This sentence puts the us all on the same page. Second of importance in court are the ANSI standards, followed by the TCNA guidelines, then local building code thrown in there somewhere (usually the aforementioned agencies have more detail than local building codes) Since your builder cannot locate his methods in those standards, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Collecting your money is another story.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #24
ShawnD724

We had a meeting with the builder, Charter Homes & Neighborhoods, last night. I demonstrated the problem supporting my case with levels. They still stood by their contractor saying it meets their standards. Unbelievable!

I think I made some progress with the wall though when I asked about how they sealed the seams on the cement board for the repair. They initially said the existing cement board would still be visible and the seam would be sealed. Then I showed them the photo that disputes this would be possible. They are supposed to go back to the contractor with that info and I'm sure they'll deliver some B.S. excuse.

Since they weren't seeing things my way (and the way everyone else is seeing it), I asked them to rip out the shower. I'll buy everything new and I'll hire a contractor to do the job correctly. All at my cost and they said no. Again, another B.S. excuse about the warranty which isn't being honored anyway. Unbelievable!

I will pursue the specs for Dal-tile and hope they have something about the slope for installation. I also have the township stopping by tomorrow to evaluate and see if there is anything they can do.

Thanks again for all the feedback! In reference to some of the suggestions provided, I found out the following:

*Standing water - water that is present for at least 48 hours
*All showers hold water and we should focus on whether it eventually drains/dries up or not
*The water running towards the corner depends on where the shower head is pointed. Having it pointed directly at the drain is not an indication there is a problem when the water runs to one corner and not the other three

These are professional people delivering these type of responses.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #25
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Quote:
The water running towards the corner depends on where the shower head is pointed. Having it pointed directly at the drain is not an indication there is a problem when the water runs to one corner and not the other three

I doubt Daltile will have anything on slope, but the building inspector certainly will.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #26
ShawnD724

We met with the township. They agreed the niche was poorly repaired and had concerns about the technique used to repair the tile surrounding it. They also said the slope doesn't meet the minimum requirements of the building code. But since they missed this during the initial inspection and issued an occupancy permit, there isn't much they can do regarding the poor repair.

The township did contact Charter and explained their findings. The message from the township relayed to me "Charter Homes reassured me that they will take all efforts to work with you in resolving your concerns". After speaking with Charter today, they said they are not touching the floor again. They got the Occupancy Permit and that's it.

Charter did say they would re-do the wall and niche although that might be in jeopardy now after I asked for a written statement saying the shower floor slope is below minimum requirements and it doesn't meet building codes but it meets Charter Homes standards. That seemed to strike a nerve. They won't even measure it for themselves.

I'm pretty sure they think if they don't measure it, it's fine and they'll sleep good at night because nothing is wrong.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #27
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Here in Texas, the builders I've worked for usually will take care of warranty issues for one year. One builder I worked for would stand behind his houses longer than that if he felt the work wasn't done correctly in the first place. It's obvious your shower wasn't built correctly and it's a shame the builder won't take care of it just because it's the right thing to do.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase