Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-06-2017, 06:41 PM   #46
MisterJJ

Knocking ridges flat... Thanks for the reminder. I had read about doing that for mosaic a while ago but that piece of information got pushed out by all the other shower/tile knowledge I've been trying to absorb.

I think I'll try my 1/4" x 3/8", held at a low angle. Knock the ridges down and see how it looks. It never occurred to me to just try and see how it works and if it doesn't, just clean up the thinset and try something else.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #47
rmckee84

With a mosiac that size I wouldn't go bigger than 1/4"x1/4". Anything bigger and you'll end up with a mess.
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #48
greenjp

Concur. I set my 2x2 floor tile with a 1/4" notch and still had a fair bit of mortar come up in between. It wasn't what I'd call a mess, but I had to clean it as I went with a toothbrush, and then again with a grout scraper/saw prior to grouting. I used a 1/4x3/16 v-notch for a linear mosaic I used for some trim and had a similar amount come through.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:03 PM   #49
MisterJJ

Looks like I may not end up with the 1" x 2" mosaic anyway.

My field tile arrived at Homers and I checked how well it matched the 2" x 6" bullnose and it didn't match well at all. Actually, I took a closer look at different tile and bullnose and found that they didn't match at all either. So the search for tile begins once again.

If nothing else is found I may end up with the original tile and use the edge profiles that everyone else seems to like. I must say that I don't dislike them as much as when I first saw them.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #50
MisterJJ

Dropped the Homer tile. None of their bullnose matches the field tiles unless it's plain white.

I found some comparable tile at Arizona Tile for just a little bit more and the bonus is that it's rectified. Tiles seem to have a little bit of dome, but not bad. Mosaic is 2" x 2" but it's really 2 1/8" x 2 1/8" with 1/8" spacing, which makes the tiled drain problematic, but I think I can make it work.

I got my first piece of Kerdi up!
Name:  1.png
Views: 43
Size:  459.7 KB

This is my Jesus board, where I can be forgiven for the sin of picking at the corners.
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  35.6 KB

Last edited by jgleason; 11-25-2017 at 06:16 PM.
MisterJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #51
MisterJJ

I just don't get it. I'm almost done with the Kerdi install but I keep looking up thinset mixing information because my results just don't seem to match what I'm reading. I measure out the water, add the thinset and start mixing with electric motor. For the first 30 seconds it's more lumps than anything else. After about 2 minutes I'm down to an even spread of a few dozen lumps. At 4 minutes I'm still chasing a few small lumps around and finally at 5 minutes I'm down to only a tiny lump or two. I'm probably running the mixer on the fast side but running any slower I still have lumps at 5 minutes. I spend the entire time constantly rubbing the mixer around the side of the pail to mash out the lumps.

Same results on two bags of thinset from two different stores. Dry mix has no lumps in it.

I watched the following video and was like WTF?!? he spins a margin trowel around for 20 seconds and has perfectly smooth thinset?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lUWxzoMD5o
Old 12-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #52
rmckee84

What kind of paddle are you using?
What kind of drill?
What thinset?
Are you measuring both the water and powder?
Is there lumps I'm the bag?
Old 12-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #53
MisterJJ

Twirly mixer, like this: Twirly

Using old variable speed motor. Try to keep it less than 1/2 of full RPM.

Versabond.

Measuring both. A full quart of mix and about 13.5 oz. of water. Holding a notch, but about as well as I would hold my mother-in-law from falling off a cliff.

No lumps at all. I lift a margin trowel of powder up and shake it off slowly... no chunks.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #54
rmckee84

I got nothing, there are better paddles but that one wouldn't cause lumps I would assume.
Mixing speed can be important to some thinsets.
Versabond is bottom of the barrel stuff in my opinion but it should still mix up.
Try adding powder to the water while mixing, it sounds like youre dumping water then powder then mixing.
Are you letting it slake then remixing?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #55
Redlands Okie

MisterJJ Shower with a Newb!

Obviously your using hard water and its causing the lumps . ya just kidding. Mixing in large amounts of powder into little amounts of water could easily be a issue. How about adding the powder to the water in smallish amounts as you mix. As stated above slaking helps. Gives time for the water to penetrate any lumps as well as allowing the chemical process to start kicking off.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #56
MisterJJ

I was a bit paranoid about going too fast and introducing air when I first started but I would get to 5 minutes of mixing and still have lumps so I gave up on that and run it faster to get all the lumps out without going much past the 5 minutes.

I am just dumping the measured dry mix into a bucket that has the pre-measured amount of water. I've been doing this as a convenience of leaving the dust cloud outside and bringing it in to do the mixing. I did try to not add all the dry mix at once before starting to mix but even then I was starting with lots of lumps and having to beat them out.

Definitely letting it slake for about 6-7 minutes and then remixing. If I had small lumps before slaking I would have small lumps after. At first I thought it was like cake batter... "small lumps will disappear during baking"... or slaking, but I found that was not the case.

The lumps aren't chunks of dry mix. When I isolate one and break it up it is just a less-liquidy lump. Kinda like a chunk of "dry-pack".

Maybe there's just a stock of older stuff that I got ahold of. I tried finding a date code but there wasn't anything that I could find. Almost done anyway. Just Kerdi-Band to go, so I'll beat my way through. I'll be really pissed and confused If I have the same issue with the Pro-Lite stuff for the tile.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:55 PM   #57
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What Robert said, add the powder slowly into the water while mixing.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #58
MisterJJ

"add the powder slowly into the water while mixing"

It worked! Big difference. Thanks guys!

I thought I was saving myself the trouble of dust clouds in the garage or running the extension cord outside when I chose to dump the dry mix into the water outside and use the drill motor inside, plugged into the wall. Yeah, being lazy too. So I dug out the extension cord and mixed as I dumped and it was much, much better.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase