Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-03-2017, 09:09 PM   #16
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

don't worry it is a mechanical lock, not chemical between the tiles.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #17
clifton clowers

I think I have made a huge mistake. I could use help figuring the best way forward. The short version is that I installed a mosaic floor with Laticrete 317 which the datasheet says not to do. It does not say why.

Here's how that happened: I previously installed a mosaic floor (over self leveler.) I decided I didn't like it, so I filled it in with feather finish so I could install something else over it. During that process, I found that the original thinset (Custom Simple Set) was still wet after 2 weeks where it was over Kerdi. I pulled that up and reset those tiles with Ardex x77 (leftover from using it on the wall).

More than a month later, when I was going to install the new floor, I figured I should use unmodified mortar since there was ultimately a waterproofing layer under considerable portions of the existing floor, and that's what Schluter said to use. I went to the store to get some Laticrete 272. There does not seem to be anything in the datasheet regarding mosaics.

Unfortunately, the store did not have 272, so I bought 317. I looked it up, and found an elf saying that unmodified, it is effectively the same as 272. And the bag did not say anything about mosaics. So I used it. And then, upon it feeling sandy and crumbly, I read the datasheet where it said not to.

Back to the question at hand - should I just expect the floor to fail soon? Or is this less dire that I think? I thought maybe epoxy grout could buy me a bit of time. Maybe not.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #18
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

What Laticrete would have wanted you to do is mix your 317 with their 333 additive to make it a modified thinset mortar, but the 317 alone will bond the mosaic tiles well enough on its own if the tiles were properly set. Laticrete, as well as all other setting materials manufacturers with which I'm familiar, would prefer a modified thinset mortar be used with all ceramic tile, but there were many square miles of tile set before there were ever any modified mortars available.

I would worry more about the areas where you had that organic adhesive (Simple Set is not a thinset mortar, regardless what it says on the bucket, it's an organic adhesive, aka Mastic). Not sure what you might have done to remove the residue from that material before setting new tile over the area, but I'd be concerned about the long-term bond there.

Without more information on just where you set the mosaic tiles it's difficult to even guess whether you might have any heavy traffic or other such use that might affect the bond with your 317. If you got good coverage on the back of each tile, though, your chances of a lasting installation are good.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:43 PM   #19
clifton clowers

Thanks. That's reassuring. This is in a bathroom. There are only two people here so it is a reasonably low traffic room.

I removed the mastek pretty well. I was able to scrape nearly all of it off without damaging the substrate. This is all outside the shower, around the edges of the room. The tiles on the leveler are down really well. I tried to remove some, but couldn't. So hopefully they stay that way.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #20
clifton clowers

What should the edge between a Schluter shower pan and a wall look like? That is to say - every picture I can find online shows a more or less straight, level edge. Ours is U shaped which is making installing tile tricky. Is this an incorrect install, or just something that happens?
Old 12-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #21
rmckee84

Did you have to cut the pan down to fit the space?
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #22
clifton clowers

Yes. I didn't do that part of the install. The shower is ~3'x4'. Along the 3 foot wall it is more or less level, but along the 4 foot wall it is down more than 1/2 inch.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #23
rmckee84

If there is a dip in the pan my guess is that it got dented. I would expect the side that had to trimmed would be lower because as you go toward the drain the thickness of the actual pan is less. So in turn the trimmed edge ends up lower.
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase