Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
CrashOverride

Crash's Bathroom Remodel

Hi all,

I'm beginning to work on remodeling our shower and I've been reading the forums as much as I can for answers. I'm ready to install the shower valve rough-in but I can't determine how far back to set it. I figure I'll have the following layers- green drywall (1/2") + thinset and kerdi (1/8") + thinset (1/4"?) + tile (3/8").

The tile we're using is 12x24 ceramic laid horizontally. My reading says to use a 1/2" square notch trowel and skim the back of the tile. That seems like it will leave too much thinset (possibly more than 1/4") between the tile and kerdi. I'm also worried it will be difficult to flatten the 1/2" ridges down. The tile seems to be pretty flat and kerdi overlap should be the only imperfections on the wall. What do you guys think, is 1/2" square notch plus skim the way to go? I put some pictures of the tile below if it matters.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
Maniac979

Not a pro but I did a small mock-up to make sure I was locating the valve properly. If you are using a Kohler valve they make an extension if you bury the valve too deep in the wall. If you don't get the valve deep enough, you are in deep trouble with Kohler.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
rmckee84

Sounds pretty close +/- 1/8"
Ditch the greenboard and use regular drywall under the kerdi.
On tile that size I would suggest 1/2"x1/2", 1/4"x1/2" u notch, or euro notch. When you skim the back of the tile you do so with a a lot of pressure to essentially burn thinset onto the back which will aid in bonding. When you trowel the thinset on the wall do so in a single direction, parallel with the short side of the tile. Once on the wall slide the tile at least 1/2" perpendicular to the trowel direction this will collapse the ridges.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase