Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #1
Pc

shower seat isn't sloped

Hi all - new to this forum! I hired an interior designer and her contractor husband to remodel (completely) my bathroom. The shower has been completely tiled at this point, and I've been able to use it three times. I would find water still puddled on the shower seat the next night. I have squeegee'd it after use, but the shower SEAT is still wet the next night! I just used a level on the seat itself, and it's EVEN. I thought the seat was supposed to be sloped just like the floor (only discovered that fact after searching the internet). It was ALOT of TIME to even get to the contractor to this point in my remodel (being able to use the shower). So I want to know from the pro's, am I correct in thinking the seat should be sloped? Won't damage to the grout result because it's still wet even after squeegee'ing? Is it possible to fix this without ripping out the whole seat? Looking forward to some professional advice. I'm posting a photo of the shower and seat; and one of my level on the seat itself.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pc; 12-03-2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: changed orientation of photos
Pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Paula, welcome. The level shows a little pitch but I don't know which way it's running. Yes, there should be 1/4 inch per ft pitch, which you don't have. The top of the seat would have to be taken up and installed again.

Do you know how the shower and seat was constructed? Any pics of the construction?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Lou_MA

Quote:
Won't damage to the grout result because it's still wet even after squeegee'ing?
No. Properly mixed and installed grout doesn't get damaged from moisture. There's tile and grout used in swimming pools, fountains and other locations where it's submerged all the time.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
Pc

Hi Davy - thanks so much for your reply! I don't have any pics of the construction. I know he bought a shower liner with the seat as part of that unit. But other than that, don't know. So you actually see pitch? The left side of the level was against the back of the seat.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
Pc

Thank you Lou. I have a squeegee, but even when I use it, there's still a good deal of moisture on the seat. Is there such a thing as a squeegee made for tile?
Old 12-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
Pc

Do you guys think it's not that big of a deal to ask him if he'll correct the slope?
Old 12-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would demand that he fixes it. When we see things like this done wrong, which is one of the basics, we wonder what else he did wrong when building the shower.

If the left side of the level was against the back side of the seat, then the pitch he has is going the wrong way, which is why it's holding water.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
Pc

Sigh. Yes, the teeny bit of the bubble that was touching a line was on the shower side of the level, not the wall side. thank you so much for your input Davy.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #9
rmckee84

Your also going to have a bit of water that doesnt drain due to the choice of tile on top of the seat.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
Pc

Do you mean because it's small?
Old 12-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
rmckee84

Yes, lots of small depressions and a lot of grout lines. You would probably need to use a towel to dry even it is was pitched properly. Surface tension would most likely keep some of it from draining off. I usually push to get solid surface material like granite or quartz on seat and curb tops because it has nothing to deter water from draining other than the natural surface tension.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #12
Pc

Cool

Thank you to all who have replied! The contractor said that the shower (not sure of the right word) base/liner he bought was supposed to have a slight slope to it, and he followed all the instructions for installation, but he didn't CHECK the slope. It is what it is. Oh well, at least I feel a little better that the last comment was that even with a slope, because of the tile size/depressions, I'd probably have to towel it anyway. At least it looks good!
Old 12-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #13
wwhitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula
but he didn't CHECK the slope.
Then I would say it is on him to fix it. The slope is required for a proper install, and if he didn't deliver a slope, he didn't do a proper install.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 12-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #14
Pc

Thanks Wayne, but he's not going to fix anything. He said he installed it the way the instructions dictated. I don't think he thinks anything is wrong! I'd rather get my bathroom finished I guess.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #15
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

I agree with Mckee.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase