Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-03-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
LDBecker

Glass tile backsplash layout questions

Back at again. Previously did a porch with Ditra under it - thankful for all the advice here.
I am doing a remodel of my kitchen - I built new face frames, doors and drawer fronts for the cabinets (hard maple now, replacing old yellowed oak) reusing the cabinet boxes. I have the bottom cabinets done, the quartz countertop is installed, and now it’s time for the backsplash. Upper cabinets and tile floor later.
When I popped the old backsplash tiles off, they didn’t come willingly and took large chunks of the old 5/8” drywall with them, so I just cut the old drywall all out and replaced it with 5/8” green board and primed it.
I am using 4”x16” glass tiles for most of the backsplash (about 30 linear feet x 18” tall total) and 6”x16” linear pattern mesh-backed strip glass over the stove area (36”x24”). So, a couple questions/requests for opinions:

1) Should the 4x16 tiles overlap each other by half? By a third? Or? These are big tiles...

2) On inside corners, do you cut the tiles 1/4” from the wall to get the 1/8” grout line when the two sides come together? I know, dumb, basic question, but from the deer-caught-in the-headlights look I got from the tile store guy, I thought it would be worth asking. He suggested running one side all the way to the wall, then leaving a 1/8” grout line on the other side. That doesn’t sound right. I DID buy the Tile Your World book, and tried searching this forum, but I didn’t really see such a basic question addressed).

3) The area over the stove is going to have the 4x20 linear pattern glass tile. I want to do some kind of border around it to separate it from the 4x16 tiles- the advisor at the tile store sold me a thin profile Schluter metal strip (A80ACG), to give a very thin chrome metal border around the pure white glass tiles. I couldn’t find any pure white pencil tiles to delineate the sections- any other options or thought? It should look ok with the stainless appliances...

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Larry.
1. It doesn't really matter what size the tiles are but rather how flat the tiles are. I've installed 48 inch long tiles before with a 50% offset because they were very flat. Place two tiles face to face to see how flat they are. If they are warped, you might want to stagger the tiles closer to 30-40% if you would like.

2. I would run one wall to the corner and then the other wall leaving the size joint you want.

3. That's really a decision you have to make. What looks good to me might not look good to the next person.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:48 PM   #3
LDBecker

Thanks, Davy,

1) The glass tiles seem pretty consistent, so maybe 50% overlap is ok.

2) Ok - I guess I was overthinking the grout lines in the corners...

3) I knew people would say it’s up to me... I guess I was looking for other ideas on how to separate the two types of tile.

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Which way the joints fall in the corner doesn't concern me much. I do like to try to make the pattern flow thru the corner if possible. For example, lets say you have a 3 inch cut in the corner on the bottom row. I wouldn't want a 3 or 4inch cut against it on the other wall. With 16 inch tiles, I would want a 10 to 13inch cut against that 3 inch cut so at least to the eye the pattern flows.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 12-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
LDBecker

That makes a lot of sense. I hadn’t thought that through yet, but was aware of that concern.

Thanks again!
Old 12-07-2017, 10:23 PM   #6
LDBecker

Should the glass tiles be backbuttered?

Getting ready to do the section behind the stove tomorrow morning - these tiles are strips of glass tile on a mesh - each section is 6" x 18", made up of varying widths and lengths of white strip glass - I'm using Mapei Adesilex P10 mortar for Mosaic and glass tile, mixed with Mapei Keraply latex, applied to the wall with a 1/4" x 1/4" notched trowel. Do I need to backbutter the tile segments?

Same question with the main tiles, which (if they ever get in at F&D, are 4x16 white glass tile. Should these be backbutered? And How much?

Thanks!

Larry
Old 12-08-2017, 08:02 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I think you're asking if they need a skim coat on the backs like we would usually do with floor tiles. Buttering is actually adding a little extra thinset to build out the tiles.

No, I wouldn't skim coat or back butter the glass tiles. With mosaics, you want the wall as flat as you can get and then use a notch that gives you just enough thinset without mashing up into the joints too much. If the tiles are clear, you will need to flatten the notches of thinset with the flat side of the trowel. That way the lines aren't visible thru the tiles. Some mosaics are very thin. With those you will have to use a very small notch. Also, I like to skim coat the wall with white thinset the day before. That way if you can see thru the tiles, you see nothing but white.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase