Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 11-30-2017, 09:19 AM   #16
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Kirk, I had a guy we did work for in WI who had a residence in FL. We finished the large multi family project and the guy stiffed everyone on the final draw. During the course of the long term project he built a huge new residence in FL and filed Chapter 7 making our money unrecoverable under FL law. Over the course of my career that happened 3 times under similar circumstances, all big money events too.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:53 PM   #17
Mathman

The electrician I used for other jobs and hired to finish the wiring on the pool had done two jobs for those people. Turns out they stiffed about 4 people in my area. Most worse than me. I lost about 10 grand. One guy had paid for more than half of the pool and only had a hole in the ground at that time.

He did take them to small claims court and won. But he didn't expect to ever get any money back. He said he did it for the record. If anyone needs an electrician in the Tampa, Dade City area, let me know and I give the recommendation. He is an electrician of the same quality as the tile guys I've interacted with here.

The owners of the pool company are living near the coast south of Tampa in a very nice home. They don't seem to have lost anything in their bankruptcy.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #18
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Kirk,

Those lien laws are not peculiar to Florida. It's the same in Texas and in the other states where I've worked. I does sometimes seem unfair to the homeowner, but what about the homeowner who tries to stiff a contractor? The idea is supposedly that the homeowner benefits from the work performed and should pay for it. It's not a perfect world.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #19
Mathman

Stiff the builder, stiff the homeowner. Two sides of the same coin. It boils down to theft. All of it should be against the law. There shouldn't be a higher level of legal protection for one or the other. The current laws specify who is treated preferentially over the other. Stealing labor or stealing goods is no different to me. They both mean taking value/money from someone else without fair compensation.
The laws don't protect honest people. They protect crooks.

That is my opinion.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #20
Joe-Tile

My county here in fl requires that my license is backed by a bond. If your credit score is good the bond is less if poor score the bond is much higher. Yet 10 miles north you don't need anything to do tile. I fully understand having to have bond insurance if you are the gc or cutting checks to other trades on a project but to require it from the finish guys that come into the job almost last and don't hold payments to guys is just unneeded expense. The insurance i fully understand and always carried.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase