Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 11-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #1381
Sharon @ LATICRETE

Quote:
Gary, as with any grout with a colored component, I'd recommend you dry-mix all the color component batches together before mixing the color component with the other components. With Spectralock that would mean dry-mixing all your Part Cs together before mixing any Part C with your Parts A and B.

I recognize that would mean you'd need to accurately estimate how much grout you'd need for the project before buying or mixing any of it, but that's just what you gotta do sometimes. Buying a little too much can be costly, but as you now see, buying too little can be more expensive.
Agree with CX - we always tell users to blend if they have mixed batches.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:35 PM   #1382
Atto
Gary A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
I recognize that would mean you'd need to accurately estimate how much grout you'd need for the project before buying or mixing any of it, but that's just what you gotta do sometimes.
I was misled by the numerous reports of color consistency for Spectralock -- I now suppose that meant within a batch, not from batch to batch. I knew I would need at least an additional mini (turns out I need just over 1/2 full) to complete. I should have ordered a full A/B, and two Part C's to begin with, then figured out how much more A/B to order.

Anyway, I took a shot and picked up another C locally, with a different date code (August). It matches the original June lot much better than the September (brownish) lot does. I'll mix up about 1/2 mini, using the rest of the June and some of the August lot, to use as a transition between 100% June lot and 100% August lot, and it will not be visible.

Last edited by Atto; 11-29-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Atto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:39 AM   #1383
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Gary, if you'll visit our FAQ you'll find a brief tutorial on how best to post and properly attribute quotes here on the forums. Very simple once you've seen it.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase