Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 10-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
s-mski

Help re-sealing tumbled marble floor

I installed and sealed a tumbled marble mossaic floor roughly 12 years ago and have finally decided to refinish it.
The marble itself is off white,very soft as I remember when cutting it.

I used Aldon Porous Stone sealer enhancer and regretted it almost from day one.
While it certainly brought out the colors beautifully and gave the floor a nice sheen without being shiny or slippery it didn't hold up very well to the wifes "Beauty Concoctions"

I would find smudged,gluey dirty spots every once in a while.
My assumption has always been it was probably something in hair spray or possibly drips of nail polish remover that she carelessly dripped and had broken down the solids that make up the sealer.

Not realizing this for the first few years I tried cleaning these spots with every cleaning product under the sun with every form of hard bristle brush I could find which of course ended up REALLY ruining the sealer.
I do realize now that I probably could have repaired those areas rather than trying to scrub them out of existence by just cleaning the problem spots with some thinner and re-applying a little sealer back over the cleaned ares.

So now I finally decided to refinish it.
I stripped the finish off using laquer thinner and think I've got it all off.
Literally poured it on ,scrubbed with a stiff bristle brush,wiped it off and then repoured more on to rinse off with clean rags.
After the second application I could feel no more sticky residue while it was damp from the laquer thinner.

Cleaned the grout best I could with a carbide grout blade to remove any dirt ground in.

Now the question is.........how should I refinish this floor?

Have been reading up on impregnators vs. sealers and don't know which or whose I should use.

I do realize not much is going to hold up to the acetone in nail polish remover should it get dripped again which invariable it will, but I believe I know better now what to when that does happen.

One thing I do know I was never happy with the way some types of dirt could get ground into the surface of the sealer and be impossible to remove as it was almost like the sealer was a somewhat soft epoxy.

Really appreciate some professionals input here.
I'd like to put down a finish that will hold up at least 5 years...and if possible enhance the stone somewhat but that's not 100% necessary if it means the finish won't hold up as well.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
Azcleanfreak

Help re-sealing tumbled marble floor

The good news is, you have already stripped the old sealer. The Aldon sealer was not the proper sealer to use on your tumbled marble. It is a topical gloss sealer. You want to use a penetrating sealer like MB 24 from Mbstone Care.

If you’re looking to get more sheen out of your floor it will need to be refinished with diamonds to achieve desired level of gloss, then sealed with the appropriate penetrating or impregnating sealer.

If you’re looking to enhance, I recommend MB 21.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2017, 07:35 AM   #3
s-mski

But isnt MB21 a topical sealer as well?
Old 10-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
Azcleanfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-mski View Post
But isnt MB21 a topical sealer as well?

No, it is an impregnating or penetrating enhancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase