Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
rjs625

2 Bathrooms and a whole lot of confusion!

Hi All,
Let me start by saying thank you for the advice provided on these forums. I'm in the process of remodeling both bathrooms of a two family house owned by my brother and myself.

Unfortunately, we expected the remodel to take far less time than it has and be far easier. We are nearing the end, but I'm more confused than ever about the tile.

I am building a stall shower using travertine tile. I am also tiling the floor using travertine tile.

My brother is using a cast iron tub and tiling the shower walls with porcelain tile and also using porcelain tile on the bathroom floor.

The work we’ve done so far (thanks to information read on these forums):
1) beefed up the floor for the travertine installation to 2x12 x 10ft
2) On both floors patched floor using ¾” plywood then overlayed this with glued and screwed dryply ¾” tongue and groove subfloor
3) Installed ¼” hardie board overtop of the subfloor using unmodified thinset and hardie screws
4) Used 30# roofing felt behind ½” hardie for shower walls on both floors
5) On the shower stall, poured a shower pan with 4:1 mortar then installed a PVC liner and layed 4:1 mortar overtop of this. Buried ½” hardie board in this deck mud that was left ½” above the PVC liner.
6) Sealed all travertine tile on all sides

The plan for the rest:
1) Using modified mortar for tiling the floors of both bathrooms (for travertine I purchased the $40 a bag thinset for natural stone. We are installing a heating cable under floor tiles, we plan to use one layer of thinset to set the cable and after this hardens then use another layer of thinset with a notched trowel for installing the tile.
2) Finish installing 1/2 “ hardie board on shower walls
3) Use (any latex modified??) thinset for shower walls and install tile
4) Use (same latex modified??) thinset for shower floor/ceiling and install tile
5) Grout shower using unsanded grout
6) Grout bathroom floors using sanded grout
7) Seal grout and travertine tiles
The main points of confusion are with the shower. Since I put the felt behind the hardie, do I need redguard or hydroban overtop of the hardie? Can I even use it now if I wanted to? Is any latex modified thinset good for the shower walls and floor? Am I overlooking anything or really screwing anything up?

Sorry for the long post, just want to make sure I don’t botch this at the finish line.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Bob~ With a vapor barrier behind the Hardi, you don't need or want a surface-applied membrane atop the Hardi.

Avanti Tile & Stone

“Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
Houston Remodeler

Bob,

Are you sure you want to use real travertine in a shower? It is a very soft stone which reacts negatively to common cleaning agents. There are porcelain look lalikes that are so good you can't tell the difference. Choose wisely. As long as the cleaning crew is OK with the higher maintenance, then go for it.

Just saying...

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
rjs625

Paul,

I realize travertine is not the smartest choice... It all started when I got about 300 4x4 travertine tiles for a "steal" a little over a year ago. Long story short the wife ended up buying more travertine at our local tile store on close-out that is non-returnable. So I am stuck with travertine. I will look up the appropriate way to clean a travertine shower when the time comes. My wife let the tile store know we were using these tiles in the shower and they sold her the appropriate thinset, mortar and sealer so hopefully that works out. I am not using travertine for the floor of the shower though, for that I got a glazed ceramic tile.

Should I just use standard latex modified thinset on the mudpan for attaching the ceramic? Then the same grout I am using on the bathroom floor and sealed well?

Thanks.
-Bob
Old 04-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler

1- yes
2- yes
3- yes

Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Bob.

Three yeses for only two questions. Ol' Paul is on a roll tonight!

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Houston Remodeler

I'm building an inventory

Old 05-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
rjs625

Hey guys,

So I started installing my shower wall tiles and realized I made a big mistake... I accidentally sealed both sides of my Travertine tile with Aqua Mix Enrich N' Seal. Will this prevent my tile from adhering correctly to the thinset? It is 4x4 tile and LATICRETE 4-XLT modified thinset used on a wall of a shower.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Houston Remodeler

can you give the back sides a quick, light grinding with a diamond cup grinder?

Old 05-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
rjs625

I could if necessary... I am about half way through tiling the shower. I am not sure if I'll have a problem with them sticking or not. I had a few tiles fall off of one wall that I forgot to cut a slot of the corner shelf out of; so I used a cut off tool to score the tile and tried a hammer/chisel to break the pieces out. This caused a few tiles to pop off of the thinset in whole pieces with little spots of stuck thinset.

Now, I also know the thinset was getting to the end of it's working time (4hrs bucket time for 4-xlt). And the tile was not yet grouted. So I am not sure if I need to worry or not.

I'm also thinking since I have to fill the tile, I hope the grout will stick in the holes since I sealed it ahead of time.

Thanks.

-Bob
Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
rjs625

I ended up contacting aquamix and got two different answers. The first rep told me to lightly sand the back of the tiles with a fine grit sandpaper if a heavy application was used and there would be no problems. The seceond rep said as long as the application was not a thick layer I would have no adhesion problems.

I think I was mixing the XLT too stiff in the beginning, because towards the end the thinner mixes were sticking to EVERYTHING. I guess using the me+bucket+grout weight on a bathroom scale is not that accurate and some batches may have been off. Hopefully I have no problems with the rest of the tiles sticking.

That brings me to my next question. Im grouting today with Laticrete permacolor grout. Well my local tile store sold my wife laticrete premium acrylic caulk (sanded mind you). I called them up this morning saying the tube says "not for constant water exposure" and I thought you had to use 100% silicone for a shower. The girl said "I think that is fine" I said "you wouldn't recommend 100% silicone then?" to which she replied "ummm hold on... Yea that is fine, we use it all the time you'll be fine. The silicone might not come in the same colors as the grout."

Seeing I am not going to get good advice from my local specialty shop, here I am. I plan on using caulk on all of the inside corners of the shower, ceiling meeting walls, walls meeting walls and walls meeting floor...

Think the stuff I have will work, should I just use grout, or should I get 100% silicone?

Thanks all!
-Bob
Old 05-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
Houston Remodeler

Get the silicone.

If you have questions about Laticrete products, you can always call them directly at 800-243-4788 x 235. Mighty fine folks there.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Laticrete makes Latasil 100% silicone that is color matched to many of their grout colors. Within a shower area, Latasil is what you need.

You can use the Laticrete latex color matched caulk outside the shower or around the perimeter where tile meets drywall.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com