Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 04-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
bearhug

Problems w/ Discolored Grout from Sealer

Here's my problem. I just put down ceramic tile in two bathrooms and decided to seal the grout. I used TILE GUARD Spray-On Grout Sealer to seal, carefully following all of the directions. Almost immediately the grout got discoloration in spots. It appears where the grout joints got a bit more aerosol spray they turned a dirty yellow color from the light beige color that they originally were. This is giving both floors a hideous splotchy appearance.

Is there any way to restore the original grout color consistency w/o removing the grout and starting over? I've read some mention grout dye, but I have no idea how that's done or if that is even an option.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Will some kind of spot application of a mild acid help the dirty yellow areas or am I just making matters worse.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
bearhug

I already did that and they were absolutely no help at all. They said that it was the grout mfgr problem and contact them. I told them the color was absolute fine before applying the sealer. They maintained the grout was the problem and there was nothing they had to offer other than call the grout mfgr.

So I call the grout mfgr, Mapei, and, of course, they can't offer me anything either because it's the sealer mfgr problem. I hope that you can see a pattern here. No one is responsible or offering any advice to how I can remedy the problem. Needless to say, a very frustrating experience.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Roy

What surface is grouted (Tile or Stone, Mable or Granite)?

If the surface is ceramic tile or porcelain, or granite, try TESTing with a mild solution of 50/50 vinegar and water in an inconspicuous area. If that doesn't make a change, move up to full strength vinegar. I suggest dampening (no standing water) the joints prior to application, and agitate with a soft bristle brush.

Get back to us with results. There are stronger products, but we want to start with the least aggressive.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
bearhug

Thanks John,

It's ceramic tile. Actually I did use vinegar on the grout to get some light patches out of it before sealing. I had some light splotches in the grout and was advised to scrub with vinegar and rinse with water. This did seem to help a lot to get the color consistent. After letting the grout sit for a week I then put the sealer on.

I didn't try vinegar on the sealer because the vinegar fixed the light patches and I now have dark patches. I was thinking that maybe the vinegar could only take it one way(darker) rather than both (darker or lighter). I'll definitely give the vinegar a shot and see what happens.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
bearhug

John,

OK, I tried full strength vinegar and scrubbed with a plastic brush, but it looks the same to me. It might of lightened ever so slightly, but definitely not nearly enough to match the rest of the grout.

What is the next option?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

On the discolored areas try some xylene or MEK.If that doesn't remove it you may be looking at a grout colorant.It's easy google it.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
bearhug

Dave,

Where would I find those products? Would Lowes carry those?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:10 AM   #8
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Yes.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com