Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Other forums > Computer Training

Sponsors

Old 03-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
jgleason
Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Tablet

So, I was goofing off today instead of finishing homework and, on a lark, I threw in a bid for an HP Touchpad on eBay. Wouldn't you know it, I ended up being the high bidder so now I have to find some time to figure out some cool things to do with this:
Name:  cheap-uk-touchpad.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  37.8 KB

It runs WebOS but I will put Cyanogenmod's CM9 on it (gives it Android Ice Cream Sandwich OS) and be able to dual boot it.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Joe

How difficult is it to change the OS on a Droid based tablet or phone to accept ICS?

Are there compatibility issues? Any minimum requirements to meet?
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
ob1kanobee

These things are priced pretty good. Are they any good?
How much should one cost used? Did you buy it used?
Hows it compared to an iPad?
I'm looking for a tablet but don't want to for over iPad dough.

This one says something about dual boots and ice-cream sandwiches already.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-TouchPad-...#ht_500wt_1202

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
jgleason

I got it on Friday. Took about 10 minutes to load CyanogenMod9 on it (Ice Cream sandwich). I used this guide - http://liliputing.com/2012/01/how-to...d-9-alpha.html

I think the performance is very good. For $200 you get a very capable device. Mine was used but in perfect condition. If you are patient you can expect to get one on eBay for anywhere between $175 to $250. Definitely worht it at this price.

CyanogenMod 9 is still in Alpha release which means there are some things that will not run perfectly. The camera does not work in CM9, not a deal breaker for me. The WiFi has been reported to be flaky but I haven't had any problems with it at all. My phone is a Droid X and I have gotten quite used to Android. Getting a tablet running Android seemed logical.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
ob1kanobee

Can you pick up WiFi from your phone or do you need a WiFi connection via a router?

See I have an iPhone so it seems illogical to get one of these since I have become used to the iPhone. The iPad is expensive though.

Seems like these operate more like real computers though.

How does this tablet (HP Touchpad) compare to a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 after you have done your little upgrade thingy?

Can you connect it to a printer?

Is there a certain GB to look for like 16, 32, ect. ???

Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
jgleason

Hi Ben,
32GB is what you will want for the HP Touchpad, could probably get by with 16GB but the cost difference isn't going to be worth it.

Data plans - Verizon has a tethering option, for an additional $20 per month, this would allow you to use your phone as a hot spot and have other wireless devices use its data connection. I don't bother with it, I just use whatever WiFi connection I am near.

Never played with the Galaxy 10.1 so I can't tell you. I have used an iPad before and this is an excellent alternative at a fraction of the cost. Performance on par with the iPad2.

I have no need to print from it but there are options for printing directly from WebOS if you have an ePrint enabled printer. I have used an app called PrinterShare Mobile Print on my Droid X phone. Worked well. You can also use Google's cloud print option which is free.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
Doo-rock

Have you found any useful apps for the tile biz? I just downloaded Notability for my iPad, and it's great for estimates.

How about a Deflecto app someone???
Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
tileguynky
Tile Contractor Central Ky Area

Don't get Roger started about his love affair with Apple and his deflecto app.

I use Adobe Ideas a lot with my iPad. I also have the iWork's group on my iPad. Allows me to open, modify and send back all Microsoft Office programs.

Nothing here, move along...
tileguynky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
jgleason

I use QuickOffice Pro on the tablet, and my phone. I keep my docs synced through Dropbox and can open any of them on the tablet when needed.

I also like Autodesk's Sketchbook Mobile app.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
Twix
Accidental DIY'er

The HP touch pad is a good tablet. It's cheep because it's discontinued.

49 days after they released the touch pad, HP canned their entire Web OS line of products. The touch pad did not sell well against the competition so a lot of stores were left holding a lot of stock.

The bigger stores like Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart started dumping them for 99 bucks. Well what they showed was that there is a huge market for low price tablets. HP learned their lesson but by then it was too late. They have however promised to keep Web OS in development and put out a tablet around 200 bucks sometime in the future.

Meanwhile, Amazon (always adapting to the market) dropped the specs on their table and put it out with the Android OS. Thus the Kindle Fire.

We have 2 Kindle Fires at the house and love them. They are really good for light use. It runs android so you have access to any app that other android tablets have and it runs those pretty well.

I have not used any of the accounting software but I assume it would run OK.

I have never liked Apple. However, even I can admit that the iPad would be the best choice for most people if you have the money. I can not speak to their apps as I don't use one.

If you can wait, the Windows 8 tables are supposed to come out at the end of this year or early next year. There is no telling how much they will be but I think they understand they need to under-price them to keep up with Apple.

The advantage of using Windows based table is that Windows does Mail the best (in my opinion) and if you use office products like excel, project, one note, etc, they will be integrated very well.

If you have to have one now, I would go with Apple if you can afford it, or the Kind Fire if you are looking for something cheep or are used to the Android ecosystem.

The HP Touchpad is great if you can find it and feel comfortable rooting it to get the Android OS.

I think I just confused the topic more that anything but there it is.

Oh, and in answer to the Wifi Question. Phone companies will allow you to use your phone as a Wireless hub for a fee. You will then start to rack up data charges. OR: Android has this functionality built in you just have to get in there and turn it on with out ATT or Verizon knowing about it. I think there is actually an App for it.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
jgleason

Hi Jeff,

Good points. Apple is a bit more "polished" than Android but the price for an iPad is a deal breaker for me.

I have had a DroidX phone for almost two years, an Archos Android 7" tablet (similar to Kindle Fire) for about a year, and now the 10" HP Touchpad.

Of the three, I use my phone the most. I always have it with me, it has unlimited data from Verizon (grandfathered in before they put in limits), and it is the easiest thing to use when walking about. The 7" tablet is nice, I like the bigger scree, it fits in a jacket pocket so it is also fairly easy to carry around almost everywhere. Alas, it only has WiFi so I don't always have a data connection when I want it. (I can wirelessly tether to my phone but it ends up being easier just to use the phone). The big tablet is my favorite because of the big screen and it has better performance than my other two devices. Same problem though as my 7" tablet, only WiFi, no 3G. The other thing I find is that it is more obtrusive to take out just to read and respond to an email. For longer working sessions though it is tough to beat, unless I want to drag the laptop out.

In fact, as I am sitting here typing this on the laptop, I have gotten two emails. I read them and responded from the phone.

So, for me, I am happy to have a larger screen size but my "go to" device is my phone. The convenience and portability of it win out over the other devices, at least for the everyday quick things when I am on the go.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #12
Marge
Moderator and Official Herder of Forum Human Cats

Joe,

I bit into another Apple......don't hate me.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

I bit the apple too, and it bit back.

Bought it new with about 0 MB of cellular service on it. Took it home and used it for 6 days on Wi-Fi only, no cellular. Day seven I got a text from AT&T saying that I was approaching my $15/mo. 250MB limit. What?

Looked up the cell usage and it was correct. Called AT&T and they said that eventhough you have Wi-Fi activated and only use Wi-Fi, unless you toggle off the cellular many applications use "push" to update files, web pages, etc. through cellular.

So basically, I didn't use the cellular once but based on "push" it used up 100% of my minimum plan within the first week. BS i say.

Since signed up for the $30 plan and learned to turn off the cell toggle. Now zero is zero.

Anyway, I use it for presentations. My pic's, Schluter sites, Houzz, Deflecto, etc. Gotta know the machine and all your apps or you'll burn your prospects patience - learned that fast. Now used sparingly, but effectively. I'd say it helps.

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
ob1kanobee

Hey Joe
What is your opinion of the new Google Nexus 7?

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com