Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 04-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
ampinkerton

Regrouting Commercial

Hello all,
I have the opportunity to regrout about 1500 sqft in the kitchen area of a restaurant. I am wondering if anybody can give me tips on the type of grout to use and how much time per sqft to remove the existing grout.
As for the grout it needs to set up fast (we are doing the job at midnight and they will be walking on it at 5 am). The joints vary from 1/2" to 3/4" around 6x6 tiles. Any comments would help. I have done a lot of residential but this would be my first commercial application.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Michael,

I have walked away from every restaurant kitchen I've seen. They never want to let the grout dry, and that is if you can dry up the water before you start. Won't shut down for even a day. I don't know how you'll do it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
ampinkerton

I plan on covering the floor with masonite and taping all seams. them throw down the rubber mats with holes to keep folks from slipping. Luckily we can do it in 250 sgft stages during the night when no one is there. I hear a lot of folks don't like these jobs, so I plan on quoting it to make it worth the hassle.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
bigd777

$10.00 per foot
Old 04-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Ken
welchtile.com

Use to do a few of these in my hay day for chain restaurants back when I was out on my own.

Your best bet is to use a rapid setting grout like Mapei Ultracolor Plus. They stand by allowing foot traffic in 3 to 4 hours but I can tell you from personal experience that once you put that stuff on the floor you better be ready to WORK as it goes "off" quickly. Also, I would bring in as many people as you possibly can and still be productive.. this is the kind of job I love to do from the simple stand point that its pure chaos. You need to have people and I can't stress that enough. You need to have people switching water out for you, mixing, spreading and washing. There is no time to be messing around in environments like this.

As far as grout removal goes.. double up some diamond blades on your 4" angle grinder holding a wet sponge against the blade to keep the dust down but not too much to excessively soak the floor.

Ah... so much fun these jobs are. I love 'em. ;o
Old 04-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
ampinkerton

Wow! this is the first time I have used a forum and you guys are being extremely helpful. Thank you. And Bigd, was $10.00 a sqft for removal and install of grout including materials?
Old 04-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
silvercitytile

Send a message via MSN to silvercitytile
Like JB said. I wouldnt touch it.

Good luck

Schluter Kerdi and Ditra installer in Southern New Mexico
Castillo Construction
silvercitytile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
evan1968
Commercial Tile Installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercitytile
Like JB said. I wouldnt touch it.
At first looking at commercial kitchen regrouts, that was my first reaction.
Are they messy? YES! Are they hard work? YES! Is there money to be made? YES!

Not many guys get into that type of work. Thats where you can make some money doing them. Your first might be a bit daunting but if you get a system going you will be fine. Took me 3 to find out really how to do them and be productive and profitable. As far as how long to get the grout out...depends on how many guys with grinders you will have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurgon
Your best bet is to use a rapid setting grout like Mapei Ultracolor Plus. They stand by allowing foot traffic in 3 to 4 hours but I can tell you from personal experience that once you put that stuff on the floor you better be ready to WORK as it goes "off" quickly. Also, I would bring in as many people as you possibly can and still be productive.. this is the kind of job I love to do from the simple stand point that its pure chaos. You need to have people and I can't stress that enough. You need to have people switching water out for you, mixing, spreading and washing. There is no time to be messing around in environments like this.

As far as grout removal goes.. double up some diamond blades on your 4" angle grinder holding a wet sponge against the blade to keep the dust down but not too much to excessively soak the floor.
The above is great advise. Let me just add that you need to get the grease off the floor. That's very important. Use an industrial de-greaser like Zep Purple. That has worked very well for me in the past. Get some wet/dry vacs to suck everything up really good. Plastic off the equipment.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Michael. You'll find it works even better if you'll put some information into your User Profile so the other members can look in there and see what kinda fella they're having the discussion with.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
Ken
welchtile.com

There is plenty of money to be made off of these. I know first hand. One thing you have to realize is, they WANT this done without closing their store.. so it will cost them and their willing to pay in most cases. No reason to run unless you're scared of making money fellas. :-)
Old 04-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
PetrH

When I bid re-grouts I price them the same as a new install. It seems to work out about right. So it you charge $5/sq ft. to install floor tile you should charge $5/sq ft to re-grout ( or a little more if you ca afford to lose the bid). Also add on the cost of having the floors professionally de-greased by a janitorial company.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #12
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

I use permacolor and mix it super stiff, when you mix it stiff it fires off fast. Did a commercial kitchen 2 weeks ago, did half one night half the other, demoed it tiled with 253r and grouted with perma each night, came back the next and the previous nights install was fine.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

I agree, charge like it was a trip to the moon if you're gonna do it.

I'd run too. Of course I run from pretty much all things commercial. Not much money to be made on it in these parts unless you have a decent sized crew of illegals.
MNTileGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
Sprung831
Tile Tool Guy

Another option for "dustless" removal is with a tool called the Grout Grabber. There is a video attached so you can get an idea how it works. Blades can be added or subtracted depending on the width of the grout joint.

As for the grout, you could also use Laticrete Spectralock 200 IG. Sets up in about 4 hours in 80-90 degree temps.
www.tiletools.com
Sprung831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com