Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #31
ckl111
Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
The only way I would keep this, would be if it were for a lower end rental where it would be acceptable
What do you have against lower end renters? Is it ok for them to stub their toes?

Instead of R2D2, I was looking for a message in the tile that perhaps says "Help, I've been held prisoner for 30 years and forced to do tiling by my captor without any training...
Old 04-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #32
Kilauea
*L.T.*

I agree with all posts.Plain and simple,it needs to come out.The sad part is that by seeing some of the work performed,the installer does get it.He/she just chose to take the sloppy way out.

This installer is not worried about the most valuable thing as an installer.No,not money.Installation reputation.

There is fella by the name of Scotty who is a member here(from Ohio).He would be a great referall to take over this whole situation and "make it right" as in Holmes on Holmes.

Can someone give Mystrda Scotty's contact info,please?

2nd generation tile installer

Quote:
The apprentice rocket scientist was having a hard time programming the launching sequence.His professor watched impaitently and said,"C'mon its not tilesetting!!!"
Kilauea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #33
mystryda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
"Help, I've been held prisoner for 30 years and forced to do tiling by my captor without any training..."
That was really and truly hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.T.
There is fella by the name of Scotty who is a member here(from Ohio).He would be a great referall to take over this whole situation and "make it right" as in Holmes on Holmes.

Can someone give Mystrda Scotty's contact info,please?
Thanks for the referral. Hopefully I'll get a PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #34
Kilauea
*L.T.*

http://scottishtileandstone.com/

440-357-TILE

Scotty's the man in Ohio.

2nd generation tile installer

Quote:
The apprentice rocket scientist was having a hard time programming the launching sequence.His professor watched impaitently and said,"C'mon its not tilesetting!!!"
Kilauea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #35
DaveKB

I'm sorry for your dilema but there's no fixing that...that's just horrible workmanship through & through. Luckily, your GC's on the hook for that one...not you!

Best of luck sorting all that out.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #36
ckl111
Home Builder

Hi Steve

Is the GC also the owner of the duplex? The tiler should have been fired on the very first day of laying tile. The cracks in the grout also indicate that they probably used too much water mixing the grout and I wouldn't be surprised if they kept adding water to keep using the grout long past when they should have thrown it out and made a new batch. Basically a bad job through and through.

If this is what the GC thinks is acceptable after working 30 years with this hack, I would be VERY worried about the rest of the work; plumbing, electrical, structural changes. I don't think the lack of workmanship stops at just the tile work. I would have felt more confident with the GC had he said "Sorry, the was the first time I've used this tiler" instead of "I've been using him for 30 years now". The weekend warriors that come to this board do a better job than this "professional".

This will not end easily. Ripping out everything and starting over will be a HUGE expense but it has to be done. Time to call your lawyer that is handling the transaction for you to discuss your options too. It's not your problem since you didn't hire him but it will indirectly become your problem if the GC decides to defend him.

Last edited by ckl111; 04-09-2012 at 08:00 AM.
ckl111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #37
mystryda

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.T.
http://scottishtileandstone.com/

440-357-TILE

Scotty's the man in Ohio.
You guys might want to check on your friend. The phone number 357-TILE is disconnected, and the voicemail is full at 478.100 (listed on contractspot.com).

Any other suggestions on who to call near Dayton, OH? (Cincinnati and Columbus are nearby).
Old 04-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #38
Gary K
North Florida Tile Contractor

Steve,

I will say what everyone else is saying, rip it up and start over. I can't help you with a contact, but there are numerous guys on here that should be able too. I am sorry you had to go thru that, hopefully your next installer will do a better job, not sure if it can get much worse though.

Gary

www.conceptualtilesolutions.com
NTCA Florida State Director

Gary K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #39
LAN1870
BATHROOM REMODELING

In looking again at the pics and It's hard to tell without seeing it in person. But it looks like the mosaic tiles were put directly over the subfloor with much old thinset or glue left. And I'm sure the sheets weren't perfect and the installer had no intention of trying to make it look good. Just slap em down and get outta there. Must be burnt out after '30 years'.

The larger tiles are over durock but still very unacceptable.

Looks like poor prep work. Forget about the grouting. Looks like somebody stepped all over the tiles after setting them in addition to being cheap with their grout.
Bathroom Remodeling
"Attention To Detail Comes First"
LAN1870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #40
oakview
Retired Moderator - Owned by two rescued greyhounds

Steve,

You might have more success locating a tile professional near you by starting a thread in the Professional's Hangout and state exactly what your needs are.- you'll get more exposure there. You should title your thread like this:

Looking For Tile Professional Near Dayton, Ohio

Hope this helps you find someone to take care of you.

BTW, Scotty of Scottish Tile and Stone is no longer doing tile work from what I understand. Too bad, he did really beautiful work.
"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?." -John Wooden
oakview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #41
mystryda

UPDATE: Met with GC

So I met with the GC today and went over the punchlist. I thought of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
What do you have against lower end renters? Is it ok for them to stub their toes?
when he said "I think you need to remember that this is a moderately priced home."

GC thought that the lippage is the kitchen was perfectly acceptable. He says that grouting around the perimeter and against the trim (jambs and trim) is how it's done. He was more willing to acknowledge some of the problems with the bathroom.

He said that one of the great things about the tile sub is that he always makes things right.

Should I give him this chance to "fix" things, or take a more aggressive stance right now? Printing out this forum thread crossed my mind, but it seemed rather impolitic.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #42
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Invite him to log on here and read the thread, Steve. Perhaps we'll be able to help you convince him.

Or not.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #43
Handy?

Everybody deserves quality work - I possibly misspoke with my comment about the low end rental thing. In any rental or home, that is a bad job. I was purely trying to see a silver lining, that perhaps you could get it for a huge discount and find it more liveable. And it would have to be a HUGE discount. The cost to re do the work will be pretty high. It's interesting that he is aware of how good the tiler is about re-doing work. Sounds like it has happened before pretty often.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #44
java
Hugging Trees Oct. 1st

Hide your checkbook and go on offense.

There ain't no making that right without ripping it all out and starting over.

This is gona be very expensive and take many days to fix correctly.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #45
ckl111
Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
He said that one of the great things about the tile sub is that he always makes things right.
That's admirable but I'd rather have one that does it right the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
Invite him to log on here and read the thread, Steve. Perhaps we'll be able to help you convince him.

Or not.
Cx, this is probably not a case of not knowing but rather not caring. I doubt even Ralph Nader (in his consumer protection days) can change the way the GC does things.

Funny thing, in these parts, even run down shacks are being touted as "Luxury Homes" in hopes of fetching a higher price.

In "moderately priced homes", perhaps the materials may not be as expensive as Statuario marble but it is no excuse for poor workmanship.

If you buy an inexpensive car, does that mean the doors don't have to close, the paint can be blotchy and the engine doesn't have to run? What you have there in automotive terms is a lemon. Doesn't matter whether it is moderately priced or even economy.

Steve, I know you are in a VERY difficult situation and fighting this GC is easier said than done but I really don't see how that job can be "fixed". It would be throwing more good money after bad. If the GC wants to throw HIS money away, so be it but you better make it perfectly clear to him what YOU will find acceptable or else he will still have to rip it out. If he already thinks the kitchen is acceptable, don't expect miracles to make the bathroom acceptable to HIS standards.

Last edited by ckl111; 04-09-2012 at 05:42 PM.
ckl111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com