Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 04-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Tub Refinisher

Epoxy grout haze removal

We had our bathroom re-tiled with polished marble tiles a number of years ago. In numerous areas on the floor only, there are spots where they did not remove the epoxy grout haze, and it overlaps both sides of the grout line. Through the years we've tried everything from diamond polishing to poultices with no success. My wife found some product from Miracle Sealants that we're hoping might work. She originally bought the GCFR, but I told her to take it back since it says it's for non-polished surfaces. Looking in the brochure, it looks like the better product would be the Epoxy Grout Film Remover. Can someone tell me if this would work on old hardened grout or is it mainly to be used on a new installation?

I've tried numerous times to get through to Miracle's "Tech Support" number, but they never answer, and never return calls when you leave a message. I don't know why they bother printing the number on their products.

Thanks, Barry
Old 04-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Barry, Welcome!

You mentioned diamond polishing was done to try and correct the problem. I restore natural stone and either the process was done incorrectly, or the person attempting the polishing didn't know what they were dealing with.

Moving forward, there are few things that will correct the hazing issue on the marble without creating further damage. If it were my floor, I would do some TESTing starting with lacquer thinner and acetone. If this yields no success I would move up to a paint & epoxy remover containing methylene chloride. Make sure you have adequate ventilation, wear protective clothing, eye protection, and respirator.

Lastly, you may need the floor repolished using diamond abrasives.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Tub Refinisher

Thanks for the reply, John. I've tried acetone and methylene chloride, both to no avail. Thanks for the warnings - I use methylene chloride all the time to strip bathtubs that have been previously refinished. It's nasty stuff. I use a respirator, but even those are not really rated for it. Definitely need lots of ventilation.

So I guess this Miracle product won't do it?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Miracle Sealants Tech

Hi Barry-

I would first like to apologize for the difficulties you have had in reaching us here. We do experience a high number of calls throughout the day and I will check our phones logs to see exactly what the issue was when you called in. In the future if you cannot reach anyone through our electronic phone system, simply dial zero for the operator and have her page me. If I am not on the phone at the time I will pick your call right up.

Now for the epoxy grout challenge you are experiencing. First off that was a great call in not using our GCFR on your polished marble, as it would have etched off any polish that was on the marble. Not to mention that GCFR is for a cement grout haze removal and will not do anything in removing an epoxy grout film.

Our Epoxy Grout Film Remover does work very effectively in removing an epoxy grout film. In my experience the longer the film has been on the surface of the substrate, the longer the Epoxy Grout Film Remover will need to dwell on the surface in order to get that film to soften up for removal. Even if that dwell time exceeds the recommended dwell time that is on the label of any product. In your case there, since the film has been down on the substrate so long you will want to test (in a small area) first to determine what your dwell time may be as well to see if at this point it would still work seeing as the film has been down for such an extended period of time.

What I would like to do for you is provide you with a sample for you to do a test on your marble as I mentioned earlier in this post.

So, when you can, please give me a call here at the office so we can speak and I can obtain your information to get you out that sample.

Here is my direct number and extension. 626.443.6433 x3050. You can also use this number and extension to reach me for anything else.

Look forward to speaking to you.

Sincerely-

Robb Kostman
Technical Director
Miracle Sealants

"Serving the Tile, Stone and Masonry Industries for 25 Years"

www.miraclesealants.com
Miracle Sealants Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

Great customer service Robb!

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
MDS

Barry, since it seems like you understand how to use methylene chloride properly to strip coatings (dwell time, don't allow it to dry, etc.) I wouldn't expect any miracles (pun intended) from the epoxy grout haze remover. It is an NMP based stripper, which is a good safe alternative to methylene chloride, but not as effective. I have never seen it strip something that methylene chloride would not touch.

Are you certain it is an epoxy grout? Any idea which one? Methylene chloride will soften up epoxy, so I'm thinking you either have a cement based grout or a hybrid. By hybrid, I mean one where water based epoxy was added to cement based grout (I think Hydroment still does this).

Try this experiment while you wait for your free sample. Scuff up the surface of a grout line with a razor knife and wipe away the dust. Take ONE DROP of acid, lemon juice or white vinegar will do, and carefully put it in the scuffed area. Be careful of course since the acid will etch any marble on contact. If you see any kind of reaction at all, even just a few bubbles, then you have a cement based grout. Figure grinding & polishing as your only remedy.

(I'm with John in questioning whether you actually did any "diamond polishing" before as a remedy. You may not have started low enough to knock off the grout)
MDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Barry

Can you post a photo?

Do you have the exact name of the product that was used for grouting?

If it was epoxy grout, Prosoco's Fast Acting Stripper is another MC based product, but probably the most effective on the market. It is specifically designed for masonry and stone. Dwell time is critical. Since it contains MC, dwell time should be between 10-15 minutes. Anything over 20 minutes will cause the MC to become noneffective, and the epoxy will begin to harden and stick back on the surface.

While I applaude Robb's effort, I am very skeptical that the Miracle product will have any effect beyond what you have already TESTed. I do suggest that you do at least try it and report back.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
Tub Refinisher

Thanks guys for all the great info. I have not been receiving notifications from this site, so I was unaware of the responses until I checked it tonight.

Robb, thanks for your offer. I'll get with you but I'm extremely busy right now.

Same goes for the testing.

Barry
Old 04-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Barry, look over toward the upper right of the screen and you'll see Thread Tools. Click on that and you'll get an option to Subscribe to the thread. Under that you'll get an option to select instant notification by email.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #10
Tub Refinisher

Thanks, CX. I was figuring it out as you were posting.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
rickrichards

Same problem as Barry

I just installed 12 X 12 Polished Marble Tiles in a custom shower, and pleased with the tile setting job, I wanted to get a grout that has an epoxy base. I've never used this type of product and now I'm regretting it because of all the film haze left on it that I can't remove with anything I have at home. I've tried to keep wiping and changing the water many times but I'm a novice and I feel I've ruined my beautiful meticulous tile job. I'm not quite finished but I've given up for the night. I went and bought a grout haze removal product and read that I CANNOT use it on marble. Is there a product readily available on the market that takes that haze off or? Disgruntled do it yourselfer! RR
Old 06-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

You can try this from HD.They will want you to start your own thread....http://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-S...specifications

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

Dave is correct but you may want to purchase it from us! It's cheaper and a percentage goes to this forum to keep it going.

http://www.stonetooling.com/Miracle-...p/30.10590.htm

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
ilikepurple

Red face removing epoxy grout haze

We used CEG-Lite epoxy grout on our unglazed ceramic terracotta tile. Unfortunately the weather warmed a bit and so the storage area where the tubs of grout were was in the high 60's. This gave us only about 30 minutes of good working time and another 20 minutes of miserable working time...and it left varying degrees of haze and foot prints. Actually the haze was pretty bad. The haze set rapidly due to the warmth. Afraid of digging in to the grout lines with my toes while on my knees I left it cure and figured I'd get it later. After all the HD employee sold us bottles of haze remover. We had much other work to do, vanity tops, baseboard painting & installation etc., etc and so we tackled the haze in about 2 weeks. The acid based HD provided haze remover didn't work at all. The acid crystals mixed with water didn't work at all. Vinegar didn't work. Miracle Sealants sells Epoxy Grout Remover but the directions say that you MAY HAVE TO RE-GROUT! Not doing that again. So what to do? We went to HD and bought Citristrip gel paint, varnish and epoxy paint remover. Fumes aren't bad, but use a fan. Painted it on every tile and avoided the grout lines. Leave it sit for 90 minutes. Used a car buffer with a white flood care pad for a few seconds on each file. A stiff nylon brush also works, but we had 5 rooms to do. Try to avoid getting it on the newly painted baseboard. Use chemical resistant gloves. Immediately wiped it up with paper towels. Then wipe with a damp towel. Allow to dry. Buff by hand and use nylon brush to loosen powder residue in grout lines and vacuum. Citristrip WORKS! You can even place a small glob on unwanted hardened epoxy, leave it overnight and gently scrape with a wooden popsicle stick and the epoxy slides right off. I'm sold. Just wish SOMEONE would have told us about Citristrip.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
Ken
welchtile.com

Typically, acids are not very effective at removing epoxy haze.

And for the future benefit of other users who will potentially read this thread, always clean any epoxy residue the next day. The longer it is allowed to stay on the surface of the tile, the more difficult it is to remove.

Also, if able to, I recommend washing the tile twice after grouting. So, for example.. you spread and clean up the way the manufacture suggests and then after a few hours, before the grout is hardened completely, gently clean the tile again. This second time around you're looking to just break any haze from the surface of the tile, so be careful not to agitate the filled joints.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com