Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Killer95Stang

Height of backer board for tiled wall?

Let me start by thanking everyone in advance.. this board has answered a lot of questions... but now I have one I couldn't find.

I plan on tiling the walls behind the sink and toilet up to 55". These aren't exactly wet walls, but I guess one can get drunk from time to time and splash a little. The wall above the tile will be new Green/purple/yellow (color of the week) moisture resistant drywall. I planned on putting 1/2" hardi-backer behind the wall tile. How high should I put the hardi-backer? Will going only 52" up the wall then overlapping the green board with the tile a few inches be a problem? I guess my main concern is the seemless blending of the hardi-backer and green board, since I plan on finishing the green board to a smooth painted finish.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
Kman

One of the downsides of Hardibacker is that it's slightly thinner than 1/2", which can make for a small "bump" at the transition to 1/2" sheetrock. You can shim out the wall if you want, but it's much easier just to use a cement backer that is actually 1/2" like Durock, Permabase, or Wonderboard. I would personally just use plain sheetrock, but if you're bound to use a cement backer, I wouldn't recommend Hardi.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
Houston Remodeler

What Kevin said, I'd use plain old ordinary white drywall for everything. No need to waste your money on the pretty colored stuff. A good primer will get you the same end result, and you were gonna do that anyway right?

ZInsser makes some excellent primers.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Killer95Stang

So overlapping the drywall / green board with the tile is okay I take it. Now what type of compound would I use for the seam between the drywall and wonderboard?

I'll use a good primer. Thanks..
Old 04-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Houston Remodeler

I like to make the cbu a little short of the drywall so the last tile overlaps the drywall. You can use either drywall mud or thinset to tape and float the seams.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Killer95Stang

Thanks for the reply Paul.... I've hired out the drywalling to a family friend that is a full time drywall installer. I just want to make sure I knew what to tell him when he asked how I wanted it completed. The two tilers that have quoted me, specified the wonderboard type material behind the wall tile.

BTW... that gallery on your website is stunning!

I really wish I had a good reference here in Los Angeles County to do my tiling job. I really wish everyone wasn't so interested in selling me the whole remodel job instead of just concentrating on what I want, a great tile job!.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
Killer95Stang

Questions about filling joints in Durock and thinset types.

Hello.. I'm about 2/3rds done a on full gut small bathroom remodel (approx 5' x 10'. I had some trouble with a guy (hack) I hired to install the drywall, so I had to tear it all out and just drywall it myself. The bathroom itself will have porcelain tiles wainscot with a glass stripe up to about 55" on the wall. I will also carry the same pattern into the shower with it being tiled all the way to the ceiling.

Since I plan on a level 5 smooth walls above the tile, I installed the Durock up to 52", allowing for the tile to overlap the greenboard by three inches. Here's where the my questions start. (see photos)

1. Durock asks for Modified thinset w/ latex and fiberglass mesh tape in the seams between the backerboards and backerboard/greenboard. Why can't any brand of tile morter just say "modified thinset with latex" on the package?

2. I purchased Mapei Ultraflex 2 with polymer for fill the seams. Will this work for my application? (Porcelain tile on a non wet wall)

3. For the corners where the durock meets a non tiled greenboard sidewall, do I apply the same thinset and mesh tape? Or, do I finish the green board side of the wall with joint compound and leave the corner to be filled in when the tile is laid?

4. Do I have to prime the 3" of drywall above the durock before I apply the thinset to fill the seam?

Thanks..
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
Killer95Stang

Thanks bbcamp,

Hopefully I'll have this done by the end of the weekend!!! Then the real fun can begin (Tile)...

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com