Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Jacob

questions about tiling shower

I use the 6 mil plastic behind the cement backer board method in the tub surround. I overlap both over the tub flange. my question is about sealing this area up. I normally put a bit of silicone behind the plastic on the tub flange to prevent water from getting behind, then put up CBB and caulk the 1/8" or so left between the tub and bottom of CBB. This would then seal any water that gets on the CBB, not letting it flow through the bottom. Is that the idea that is accepted?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Jacob.

Unfortunately, yes.

Attaching the moisture barrier to the tub's tiling flange is not at all necessary, but it's not harmful, either.

A full bead of sealant between the bottom of the wall tiles and the tub surface is, in my opinion, but that's the current industry standard.

I think it a very poor idea to intentionally trap moisture behind the tiles at the bottom of the installation. I have always grouted that joint, with full knowledge that the grout joint will fail and require replacement. At least the moisture that will get behind the tiles will be able to escape at the bottom.

If you caulk, I would recommend you at least leave some gaps in the caulking for water to escape, but, again, that's not an industry standard procedure.

I deleted your other thread on the same question. One place at a time, please.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Jacob

thanks for the reply. I've been reading this forum for a long time and appreciate the information.
I think that I like your approach with using grout on the bottom to allow the water to escape. My biggest concern of sealing it all would be the mold, but mold needs oxygen so you would think that if it did grow it would me minimal and contained. It would be interesting to know how much water actually gets through the grout and the CBB, I realize there are multiple factors that would determine that. It would be interesting to see some sort of physical experiment to compare all of the different methods and products.
Does water go through epoxy grout? Or I guess what are your thoughts on using epoxy grout in a wet area- I realize that it is "better" , but how and why pro con type question I guess thanks for your time

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com