Some of My Famous Relatives
In the past few months since I have seriously resumed by genealogical research again in earnest, I have found a couple of battalions worth of famous relatives, some of whom I'm directly descended from, and others are whatever cousin so many times removed. Here are just a few examples:
(1) General Robert E. Lee (1807-1870): 4th cousin 6x removed. Common descent from Col. Richard Lee (the Founder, 1613-1664).
(2) Lord Sir George Calvert (1579-1632): 13th G-Grandfather. History remembers him best as the 1st Lord Baltimore and the founder of Maryland. Descent from his oldest daughter Anne (1607-1672).
(3) Harry S Truman (1884-1972), 33rd President of the United States: 3rd cousin 4x removed. Common descent from Richard Shipp (1747-1828).
(4) Patrick Henry (1736-1799): 2nd cousin 7x removed. Best known for his "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" speech as well as being the 1st & 6th post-colonial governor of Virginia. Common descent from the Rev. William Robertson (1620-1709).
(5) Dolley Madison (1768-1849): 3rd cousin 7x removed (on my mother's side). First Lady of the U.S. under President James Madison. Common descent from Robert Woodson (1634-1707).
(6) Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933), 30th President of the United States: 10th cousin 2x removed. Common descent through Edward Cope (1557-1634).
(7) Diana Spencer, Princess of Wales (1961-1997): 9th cousin. Common descent through Robert Hibbard (1648-1710).
(8) Norman Rockwell (1894-1978): 8th cousin 2x removed. Common descent through Robert Hibbard (1613-1684).
I could quite easily go on and on with this, as a number of people can, and I believe that finding famous family members is a very cool thing. It can make for a great conversation starter, that's for certain!!