Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #16
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Kevin

You may want to post your question in the Pro Hangout.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #17
Arizona Floors
Boswell Flooring

Topspin,

I just used this product. Customer bought it and asked for it instead of water.

I won't be back to see the dried product. (unless theres a complaint)

Installation was much like normal water/grout. It stayed consistent the whole installation. However, I did grout fast because I didn't want to find it setting up on me.

I used Customs (polyblend) sandstone grout.

I would use it again, but it would be great if I was able to return to the job a week later and see the results.

This is probably too late to help, sorry. Did you end up using the product?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

We just started selling it and I have a customer who has been using it for a while and loves it. I might actually have to start promoting it and hopefully we won't get any bad feedback from our customers.

I will update this thread when I hear more.

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #19
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

well . . . no. Didn't use it yet. I prefer PermaColor and was told by both sides that PermaColor and Grout Sheild shouldn't cross the streams.

Maybe shouldn't say more as both tech people, in the know, said NO, but said that there maybe more details available in the future.

Was told that a standard grout like a Laticrete 1500/1600 might be OK, but Permacolor is modified from a standard grout and would not be appropriate for Grout Shield. So its a wait and see I guess. Great idea tho.

Last edited by cx; 02-08-2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Remove irrelevant photo
Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #20
Miracle Sealants Tech

Hi Kevin-

We too value the feedback from end users and we apologize that no one has commented on here to help you out regarding this.

I have used the product many times with great success, but again I am a company man and yes there is a bit of "loyalty" to the product.

However, I would love to send you out a sample to try out for yourself if that may help you and your customer decide which way you might want to go with the install.

If you are interested give me a call here.

626.443.6433 x 3050

Thanks

Robb

"Serving the Tile, Stone and Masonry Industries for 25 Years"

www.miraclesealants.com
Miracle Sealants Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #21
wraiththe

Come on now, we need some reviews.
I was going to mix keracolor S Grout by mapei with Grout Sheild by Miracle.

It has a few good reviews and nothing else. Just as I was about to use it... I was warned not to by two gentlemen from another forum.

Mapei and the guys who sold it to me thought it was OK.

The guy from Miracle said they sometimes hear that there is a haze left on the tile that will not clean.. .but an acidic cleaner will take care of that... if the tile is not washed correctly.

He also said there could be efflorescence on the grout on install? at least that is what I think he meant. Can anyone else verify this.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #22
Miracle Sealants Tech

Hi Kevin-

I hope our phone conversation cleared up things on for you regarding our Grout Shield product.

If you do have any questions no matter how minor you may feel they might be, please do not hesitate to give me a ring back.

Good luck.

Robb

"Serving the Tile, Stone and Masonry Industries for 25 Years"

www.miraclesealants.com
Miracle Sealants Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #23
wraiththe

Will have to wait until tomorrow. The Grout Shield I had was a bad container. It had these chunks of spongy clots, kinda like matzo balls or dilapidated sponges in it. The retailer sent me another 70 oz package. Good thing I poured it into glasses to measure it out.

Last edited by wraiththe; 12-28-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling
wraiththe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #24
doitright

Hi Robb

Can you clear things up for the forum?

Hi Kevin

Yes, that was a good thing indeed!
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

Old 12-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #25
wraiththe

Latex in Grout Sheild?

Is Grout shield a latex additive? Is there latex in it?
Answer, No... no Latex in the stuff... From Rob.

Last edited by wraiththe; 12-29-2011 at 01:58 PM.
wraiththe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #26
doitright

Hi Kevin

Thanks!

Very interesting.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:13 PM   #27
Davey Tile

Not a fan

An old customer called us to get help cleaning their brand new shower. When we showed up we were blown away by the mess left on the tile. The had a roof replaced during a rain storm and the insurance company hire a contractor to replace the master bathroom. The tile contractor did a fair job with the tile installation. The grout was varied from bright white to dark tan. Grout haze was everywhere along with stains from drywall to paint to stains we still have not figured out. They showed us the grout they used and we seen a half bottle of Grout Shield. When we were cleaning it we noticed some of the grout was sealed and some was not. We had to use Grout and Cement Film Remover to clean it.
The fact that it had spotty coverage and has a 10 day waiting period for tubs and showers We will just stick to Tru-Color we have been using it over a year now for 99% of our work with no complaints and its only a 7 day wait
Old 02-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #28
11Keystone

Grout Shield

I use the Grout Shield often.. i had trouble with it 2 times. Once it left a film on the tle and one time it just didn't work, the water never beeded up on it after it cured. I have to go back and reseal it with a penetrator. Other than that i like the product. I have no idea why either problem happended?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #29
wraiththe

2 out of how many times? (does not really matter, I will never use it.)
I would have thought that grout consistency would not be such a problem, but it really seems to be a common issue. Either that or effloresence. One would think more measures would be in place to prevent it.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:04 AM   #30
davefoc

I'm not a tile guy but I have done quite a bit of tile work in the course of renovating an old apartment building.

I've used the product several times over the course of the last few years on showers and small bathroom floors.

I have been very happy with the product. I like the idea of not doing a separate sealing step and I like the idea that I don't need to reseal the showers something that I very rarely do.

I notice that people are complaining about the haze. I use regular 12 x 12 fairly smooth wall tiles on the sides of the showers I build and I haven't had much of a problem there. I use a brown, somewhat rough tile on the floors of the showers that I get at Home Depot. I really like these tiles for the shower floors because they provide a lot of friction to prevent slip. I cut the tiles up into roughly 4 x 4 squares for the shower floor. The downside is that it is tough to get the haze off these tiles. I wasn't careful enough to notice that using the additive makes getting rid of the haze harder or not on these tiles but after reading this thread it sounds like it might. I do the best I can to get the haze off by rubbing them with a towel as soon as I can and I uses a scotch bright pad after the grout has set up and then I use a CLR knock off product to get the rest off and that seems to work. I might buy a haze remover for the shower I'm working on now to see if that makes it easier.

I came to this thread because I did have a problem the last time I used the product. It was on a small tile back splash that I used glue pads to install the tile . I wouldn't use the glue pads again and they might have been the main source of the problem. The tile attachment flexes a bit when you're grouting and I had trouble getting the grout to look right because when I was done pushing the grout in the tile would move a bit and then flex back causing the grout joint to not be quite right. The main problem I had was that the grout didn't seem to harden properly and I'm not sure that the glue pads were the cause of that problem. I think maybe the grout was too dry when I installed it and that was the problem. I don't know. But I never had a problem like this before and I'm not quite sure what I did wrong. I'm about to grout a shower and I sure hope that I don't have a problem like this again.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com