Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Riggncj7

Travertine - Stripped sealer, ready to seal again?

Hi all....we just put in travertine floors in our house. We originally sealed with Dupont Stone Sealer, and the outcome was terrible. Appearance was milky / dull looking. Assuming we did not clean the floors enough prior to sealing. (??) Called Dupont, followed their advice and stripped the sealer with their Heavy Duty Stone Cleaner twice. Looks like the floor is ready to be resealed.

Now....we want to use the Dupont Enhancer to bring out the colors in the stone. However, I was told to wait 3 days after cleaning to seal, but we have traffic in the area of the tile and it's unavoidable. I feel I need to re-clean (mop) the floors prior to sealing so that it's truly clean and ready. After mopping, how long must we wait to use the enhancer?

New to the forum, so thanks in advance for your help!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Hi Tara, since this is a Dupont product didn't they answer that question for you?

Another thing do a test on a piece of it with the enhancer to make sure it is the desired look you want. Enhancers don't just enhance they really darken the stone. Test, test, test......

Can't you cover the floor with some brown kraft paper rather to keep it clean. I say brown because they have that pink/red kraft paper and it can bleed color.

If you do mop the floor I would think you can use the enhancer once it is dry. You wouldn't want to trap moisture in so maybe mopping at night and enhancing next morning. Enhancer will enhance your grout too, assuming you have grouted maybe you haven't. I mean darken your grout when I say enhance just like it will do to the travertine. Again do a test on some grout.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile
CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA

jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Tara.

While I'm not one of the stone gurus hereabouts, I've sealed and I've enhanced a bit and I'm gonna tell you that even the testing Jon recommended (always a good idea) is not likely to help in your situation.

I very seriously doubt you have a prayer of sufficiently cleaning out all the previous sealer to make enhancing a viable option at this point.

But I been wrong before, so wait for some of the heavy-hitters to comment, or just wait for some of your own testing.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Riggncj7

Jon - getting in touch with DuPont is a bit of a struggle. They always call back, but not as quick as I would like, therefore hoping someone here could help. We are all about testing, already have an area picked out to try it on. The trapping moisture issue is the main question I had about how long we should wait to try this again.

CX - if all of the previous sealer is NOT completely cleaned out, what will the enhancer do? What other alternative could you give me? We really would like to enhance the color, but don't want a shiny surface since it's in a living room and bathroom. I apologize for sounding naive but travertine is new to us.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Tara, if you've not removed all the sealer from your tiles, the enhancer will likely enhance the clean (sealer free) parts of the stone and do absolutely nothing to the portions that are still sealed. Might be pretty awful, or might just not be awfully pretty.

Only way you'll really know is to try it, though.

And we wish you good luck.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Riggncj7

Thanks CX. So, in all reality, the best / safest option would be to NOT use an enhancer then, correct? And, if so, do we again use a water based sealer?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
jondon

I guess you need some kind of test to perform over the whole floor to indicate if there is an area where the travertine is still sealed. As CX stated could be an ugly situation.

yes I think the stone heavy hitters need to come in and figure out how you can determine if the sealer is gone from the travertine

I know if you spray water on it and it is still sealed the water droplets will bead but that is as far as my knowledge goes. How big is your floor?

don't know if they will be any faster though then the DuPont people.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

Old 02-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
Riggncj7

The floor is about 450 SF. Terribly frustrated!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
jondon

I am curious myself about determining if a floor has been sealed or not. Obviously you can sprinkle water all over the floor and see if it beads but with 450 sq. ft.?

I just googled it and I saw something about putting a UV light over the floor in the dark, is there any validity to this test.

It is one thing if she just wanted to make sure it is sealed but she could just seal it again. but...

If she wants to enhance the travertine the sealer has to be removed....

Is there a way to determine this other than the water bead test

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Here's what i think.
Travertine doesn't suck up much sealer anyway,and given the soft spots and filler,it is always splotchy, so i would give the enhancer a try.
If you really wanted the enhancer to work well you could rehone the stone.This would give you a whole new surface to absorb the sealer.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Tara, Welcome!

The most important is that the floors look good to you now, and don't have that milky appearance.

Do you have a link for the product Dupont Stone Sealer? I can't find it anywhere by that name.

I'm guessing it's a water based product, hence producing the milky appearance.

Does the stone darken when you wipe it down with a sponge?

All stone enhancers are different, and produce different results.

My first suggestion is if the floor darkens evenly while wiping in down with a wet sponge, is decide how much you want to enhance the floor. Most travertine's won't darken significantly. Next I suggest you use a solvent based enhancer. If you decide to move forward with a Dupont product, I suggest you use Dupont Stone Tech Professional Enhancer Pro. As I mentioned earlier, this product will normally produce a mild to moderate enhancement (depending on the surface of which it is used).

If you want a moderate to significant enhancement, I suggest using Aqua Mix Enrich n Seal.

If you want to control your enhancement, I suggest STT Enhance Penetrating Sealer.

As always, PRIOR to committing to the entire project, TEST first. This will include letting the product dry overnight, and observe the results the next day.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Riggncj7

Hi John. This is what we originally used:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_282491-23132...ler&facetInfo=

What is the difference between the Dupont that I can buy at Lowes and the StoneTech? Thanks again
Old 02-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Tara

As you know, all products have various levels of performance. A big box store is going to purchase and sell at lower price points. To achieve this, the product being sold must be modified to maintain the sales margins.

The Stone Tech line of DuPont is typically not sold in big box stores.

I am suggesting using a solvent based product. The carriers in the sealer will bring the solids deeper into the stone. Once a sealer is cured, you don't have to worry whether or not you use a water base or solvent based product on top of the previous sealer. I favor solvent based products (when available).
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com