Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 02-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
marklevinson1

color came off of tile?

Here's my story. Installed Marazzi Vesale stone (glazed porcelain) tiles in my kitchen remodel a few years ago. Flash forward to yesterday when I am mixing some paint in a can down in the basement to do some touch up in one of the bedrooms. Carrying can by the handle up the stairs, walk through the kitchen into the living room when out of the corner of my eye I see a line of paint on the floor. I realize that the can is leaking out the bottom (might have rusted through) and has left a trail behind me since I left the basement. Panic naturally ensues as I have paint everywhere now.

I figure I need to get it off the wood floor first so by the time I get to the kitchen clean up the line of paint is starting to dry. I thought a sponge scrubbie would be the best way to get the paint off. Apparently I thought wrong because I started to realize that the color was coming off the tile along with the paint!

I managed to remove the rest of the paint using a washcloth, some floor cleaner and lots of water. Now I am trying to decide the best way to deal with this. I am amazed that the color came off so easily. I have extra tile but replacing the tile would be my last resort based on the complexity of it. I was thinking about maybe some matching colored paint and a textured sponge with a light touch? What do you think? Any other suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Mark

http://www.levinsoninteractive.com/r...ages/floor.jpg
http://www.levinsoninteractive.com/r...or_closeup.jpg
Attached Images

marklevinson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
pwgsx

Are you sure the paint didnt soak into the tile making the white streaks? What type of tile is that?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

yeah I'm finding that hard to believe the glaze rubbed off from having paint on it.
if its a slightly textured or leather feel tile it could possibly filled in micro pours.
you can scrub and acid wash tile and not have a glaze come off a tile.
..................Check out our Blog
Florida Installer of Laticrete HydroBan & HydroBarrier
....Florida Installer of Schluter Kerdi & Kerdi-Board
................."Waterproofed Tile Showers"
........Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

You might need something like paint thinner. What type of paint was this? If a laytex, it could be laytex. The base of most paints comes in white so it can be then tinted, so there's a lot of white pigments in them.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Stone Dude

I see no repeating patterns in the tile. are you sure its not actually slate?

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Mark

I found your porcelain tile slate look a like here.

I would try some lacquer thinner with a white terry towel. I don't think you removed any finish. You may want to follow up with a little paint thinner. Try to keep it out of the grout (or it may darken).

As always, TEST first!
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
marklevinson1

Thanks everyone for the input. The discoloration is only on the first 3 feet into the kitchen. The line of paint went all the way across the floor to the basement entrance. Since all the other paint came off just fine using just water and cleaner the idea that that white I am seeing is not color coming off but paint ground down into the texture by scrubbing seems more plausible with your explanations. I am relieved it will be much easier than trying to cover it up or replace the tile. Thanks again.
marklevinson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Mark

Keep us posted!
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com