Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
kuhl0040

Shower Pan

I am in the same spot as you and have another question. I am about to pour the top mortar bed. After I do that I was planning on using RedGard on the cement board walls. That got me to thinking about using RedGard on the top of the upper mortar bed. Is it bad to have the PVC liner between the lower and upper mortar beds and then have RedGard on top of the upper mortar bed so that the upper mortar bed is basically sealed between the PVC liner on the bottom and the RedGard on top?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
kuhl0040

Here is a picture of my install. I am debating putting RedGard on top of the upper mortar bed. Thoughts???
Name:  RedGard on top of upper mortar bed.jpg
Views: 13682
Size:  44.4 KB
Old 11-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, kuhl0040. Please change that permanent signature line to a first name for us to use.

I separated your posts from the other visitor's thread to prevent confusion in both places.

Yes, a bad idea.

Costly and unnecessary, too. If you've properly constructed your pan liner, there is no reason to want additional waterproofing. And you want your mortar bed to dry between uses, which won't happen with the membrane over the top.

No reason to create potential problems for yourownself when there is no advantage to be had. If you prefer a bonded waterproofing membrane shower, build you one of those and eliminate the traditional pan liner.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
kuhl0040

Thanks for the help, need a little more advice.

One of the shower walls is an exterior wall.
1. Siding
2. 1"x12" Sheathing
3. Insulation
4. Plastic 6 mil Poly
5. HardieBacker Cement Board
6. Should I use RedGard over the cement board???
a. I worry about sandwiching the cement board between the 6 mil poly and the RedGard?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
cx
Da Home Builder

Unless the six-mil poly overlaps your shower pan liner to the drain side, Ty, it's of no value in your shower installation.

If you intend to use a direct bonded waterproofing membrane (RedGard) on the inside of the shower walls, I recommend you defeat the poly barrier by cutting many short vertical slits in it prior to installing the backerboard on the studs.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
kuhl0040

I do have the poly overlapping the pan liner so if moisture gets on it, it will drain on to the top of the pan liner. I already have the cement board installed so it sounds like I should not use any RedGard for my install.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase