View Single Post
Old 10-13-2002, 04:06 PM   #47
Dave Gobis
da Man!

I had nothing to do with it ( the tile ranger ) and my trowels aren't rusty, I used them yesterday and will do it again on Tuesday, we run "hands-on classes". Start them with my hands and finish with theirs.

And, Michael don't make the rules, never has, never will. He has had a vote a few times, I think he was a voting member of the last handbook committee, one of 20 some odd. I vote on both ANSI and TCA which are guidelines, not rules. Happen to have a little article on it in the computer, here is how it works:

The Tile Council of America, Inc. (TCA) publishes the Handbook for Ceramic Tile Installation, The Handbook is a guide for anyone who uses, works with or specifies ceramic tile. It clarifies and standardizes installation specifications for ceramic tile in the United States. It is a quick-reference details that outlines most installation methods and conditions such as exterior and interior floors, exterior and interior walls, ceilings and soffits, bathtubs walls, counter tops, renovations, shower receptors, steam rooms, swimming pools, fire-related and sound-related walls, etc. The book provides a guide on recommended uses, limitations, requirements, materials, preparation by other trades, movement joints, installation specifications and references ANSI and ASTM standards. The information presented in the Handbook for Ceramic Tile Installation represents a consensus of more than 23 national and regional organizations.

The United States has used the ANSI (American National Standards Institute) A108 as its standard for installation many years. This document sets the definitions and standards for proper installation of ceramic tile. The A108 was last published in 1999. One of ANSI's requirements is that standards are revisited and re-approved every five years. The Tile Council is approved and recognized as the secretariat for the ANSI standards for the ceramic tile industry. All of the ANSI and ASTM (American Society for Testing Materials) standards, definitions, and methods are subject to open review called transparency. This prevents any one group or industry segment from dominating the process and thus promulgating inferior standards. These standards are designed to act as a platform for establishing commonality between the producer, specifiers, middlemen, installers, and end users. Organizations are invited to participate in the standards generating process. Those that have an identifiable interest are invited to send voting members to the committee meetings. The existing committee then approves new applications. It is not an individual serving on the committee but rather an appointee of the organization he or she represents. The fact that standards are being considered and balloted is published in ANSI notifications such that all potentially interested parties are notified. No legitimate interest is excluded and anyone may submit comments and suggestions to the committees. The make up of the committee is audited by ANSI to confirm that no segment dominates the process. Guests may be invited to sit in on meetings to state any particular viewpoint. Once the committee completes its deliberations a draft of the standard is prepared and submitted to ANSI for balloting. To be considered for a standard all one must do is submit their proposed product, installation specifications, and supporting ASTM recognized test data. For more information you could contact Tile Council of America by email at technical@tileusa.com.

Your all invited to attend.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote