View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
Tom321

Newbie loading question

Hi all, and Happy New Year!

I have been searching the interweb for information on calculating the load bearing capacity of my floor. It lead me here. I'm not after tiling it, but it seems like you know what you're talking about and wondered if you could lend me the benefit of your wisdom?

My house is a 1924 craftsman bungalow in southern California. I have no idea what wood they used, but it's still in reasonably good condition. Hardwood floors, probably original. Joists are 2" x 7.5", spaced roughly 20" apart. The span from foundation to first beam is 9'3", then it's 9'10 to the next beam, and then 9'7" to the foundation again.

I know there are a million other variables, and I can find and post any more information that will help answer this:

If I put a birthing tub between the first wall and the first beam, is it likely to hold or go crashing through? Total weight in an 8x8 area would be about 1 ton (including tub, water, people etc.).

I have used the Deflect-O-Lator but I'm not sure what it's telling me other than I should stick with hardwood and not put down tile or slate...

Thanks!